ATI HD 4650 CF or ATI HD 5570

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Not for several months BUDGET RANGE: Less than 80 CAD After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Crysis etc.) browsing the Internet

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4650 and 600W PSU (not my current PSU but it will be current at time of purchase)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Asus M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, OCZ StealthXStream 600W Power Supply, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. (Not my current build but it will be current at time of purchase)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Canadacomputers.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI (Nvidia has not given me any confidence from my last encounter with them)

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to know if it would be better for my budget to Crossfire Two of these cards (I already have one)
PowerColor (AX4650 512MD2-LHV2)(Low Profile) ATI Radeon HD 4650 Chipset

or to buy one of these cards PowerColor (AX5570 1GBD3-H) HD5570 1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570 Chipset

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-2.html
This article says that both of these cards are good ones for my budget

If you want game then don't get anything lower than a 5750, it's always better to save up a bit more and get something that will last. Going cheap on the GPU will cause you to upgrade sooner than later.

Prices should come down a bit once the 460 is released, 2 weeks won't hurt =)

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, I am just trying to get a feel for what cards I should keep my eye on.
Since my purchase date is so far away prices will most certainly come down.
and then i will be able to reassess my options.

Yea but then when its time to upgrade he will have to sell/get rid of both those GPU's. X-Fire 4650's is weak for Crysis, produces more heat than needed and will not work with a few titles.

I would say wait and get a 5750/5770, you will have DX11/low power draw/low heat/no CF issues etc...

Here is a review based on the 4650 :

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4650_OC/

So its on par with the 4850 give or take, I would rather have a single 4850 than dual 4650's in CF ;)

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Wow, I thought the performance gain was only like 50%
Will the performance gain still be there if the crossfire is only at X8?

The penalty of 8x crossfire/sli is fairly small while gains are depending on the title and drivers. 40-60% in games that scale fairly well while games that don't scale at all like GTA IV will be zero since it doesn't use more than one gpu due to rendering is mostly cpu which sucks ass no matter what platform you play on. Performance increases more when overclocking is factored in. Performance can increase 5-10% right away when only one of the cards is nuked and the other is at default. Note clock synch no longer applies to Nvidia sli and ATI crossfire unlike the old days of 3DFX. Performance can jump 10-20% + when both cards are maxed out on top what you will get at defaults.

TRENDING THREADS