Importing Character in BG II ... help..

Hi

I have BG Tales of Sword Coast on my desktop and have just installed BGII on
my laptop.

Is there any way I can import my character without installing the original
game on my shiny new laptop... please say yes :-)

thanks

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers
1 answer Last reply

    "Brad" <brad@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have BG Tales of Sword Coast on my desktop and have just installed
    BGII on
    > my laptop.
    >
    > Is there any way I can import my character without installing the
    original
    > game on my shiny new laptop... please say yes :-)

    Yes. There are in fact two ways:

    (1) The game of BG1 makes a "FINAL-SAVE" just before you *enter the
    Temple of Bhaal* for the final confrontation - so, in fact, it's
    before you actually killed Sarevok: but, since you begin the game of
    BG2 with only your main character, full hit points and no equipment,
    this is pretty much irrelevant.
    This will be found in the "save" directory of the game. It will
    be named XXXXXXXXX-Final-Save, where XXXXXXXXX is a sequence of
    numbers (which does not in fact particularly matter.)

    Copy it over to the "save" directory of BG2. (Baldurs Gate 2 does
    not actually create this directory at all during the install process:
    however, you can either create it manually - make an empty folder and
    name it "save". Or, if you're not sure, start a new game with a
    complete new character (it doesn't matter what class, race or stats,
    you're not keeping this one), and let it get up to the first auto-save
    point: at which point the game automatically creates the save
    directory to keep the autosave in. Then quit the game - with or
    without making an additional save to the autosave that the game itself
    made - and you can go looking for the savegame folder and put the
    final-save from BG1 next to the first auto-save from BG2.)

    Then, once you have your BG1 Final-Save in the correct folder:
    Start a new game, pick "Import Character (it's low down on the right
    of the screen), then choose to Import Saved Game.

    (2) Or, just before the end of BG1, you can create a character file of
    your main character alone by choosing "Export Character". This
    character will appear in the "Characters" folder within the main BG1
    directory, as "XXXXX.chr", where XXXXX is the name that you chose for
    it. Copy this over to the "characters" folder of BG2 (NOT the saved
    games folder), and then Start New Game - Import Character - Import
    Character File, and pick the name of the character file from the list
    it gives you.

    (In either case, you MAY have to give yourself a character biography,
    as the game may fail to provide you with one.)

    So, in either case, all you have to move is either the Final-Save
    folder from BG1 to BG2, (a few hundred Kb), or the Character File (a
    few Kb). Either should fit easily on a floppy disk - or you can burn
    it to a CD if you want, but that seems a waste of space.

    Jonathan.

Laptops Desktops Games Video Games