P8P67 Pro B3 Mobo FRIED? o_o

aliasautumn

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
So I was working on my first build alone. I actually asked on here for part checks, ect. Being my first build, I took all the precautions... watched videos front and back, check before I plugged everything in (online and on motherboard manual), bought an anti-static wristband as opposed to just doing the "touch case" method. I thought I had everything done, turned on the power supply and booted it up. Everything seemed to work fine, until about a 10 seconds or so when I saw/smelled smoke. I immediately turn off the power supply, and start checking all the parts. Not sure what I was, I tried to boot it one more time, and noticed now the CPU fan wasn't moving. I removed the heat sick to see if it was the CPU, nope. Checked the power supply, nope. I then decided to remove the motherboard and this is what I found...

http://i51.tinypic.com/kd7b0z.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/655uah.jpg

Specs:
Intel 2500k Processor
Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard
2 x 2 GB Ripjaws Ram
MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr GPU
Corsair TX 750 PSU
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
Lite-On DVD/CD Writer
Haf 912 Case

So... has anyone else had this or something similar to this happen? Can I return it to Amazon for a replacement/refund? Thanks. >.<

clintonkeenan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Ouch! I doubt you can return it, as it is most probably user error. I have recently built a P67 system for a friend, with the non PRO version of the P8P67 board, and everything went perfect. Could you post some pics of how all the cables were plugged in? That would be much more helpful to all the experts here that could diagnose the issue. Sad to here about this, best of luck.

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
How the fuck did you manage to do that! haha...xD Wow never have I seen this before was the motherboard stand off in the correct hole? or did you forget to put those in before mounting the motherboard to the case...-_- The motherboard must not touch the case or that will happen...unless you routed some cables between the motherboard and case then I could see this happening at which point would be your fault as you should not ever have anything in between the motherboard and stand offs to the case...was there a screw maybe between the board?

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
What kind of power supply is that? Is it at least 80+ bronze certified or higher? o_O if not that may have been the culprit right there...

Was anything metal touching the motherboard directly? or perhaps one of the cables? I just honestly don't know how this happened. You should hook it all back up the way it was and then post pictures so we can see what happened. TRY your very best to replicate how it was all hooked up okay...every little detail...