Sign in with
Your question

8800 ultra help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2010 8:16:26 PM

Hey everyone. I have just brought an 8800 ultra. However, it has fault. DVI port 1 is only displaying shades of purple. I have looked at a DVI pin out and there seems to be a green pin so I would imagine that DVI1 has no green signal. Apparently the card works flawlessly when you use port 2.

I asked what would be the problem and the guy said he saw a burnt pin/leg on one of the things I have circled in red. In green are capacitors (Ided these earlier) and the Ir0 seem to be resistors.

So does any one know what the 8 legged chips are in the pic? He said he thinks they are either a Multiplexer or demultiplexer. These are available for about £1. I am good with a braid and should be able to replace them.

Thanks for any help !

More about : 8800 ultra

a c 172 U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 9:24:20 PM

Those can be replaced but finding a supplier isn't going to be easy except from getting spares from a donor card. Beyond that there isn't much you can do.
June 29, 2010 9:27:39 PM

Hi. Thanks for your reply !

I looked around earlier and I found some Multiplexer and demultiplexers for £1.08 each. On the site I used they were listed in the PCIE category and came with part numbers.

Obviously I cannot read the pic I posted (the chip IDs) so that will need to wait until I get the card tomorrow.

But, if Nvidia have not scraped off the numbers (typical for certain manus, makes IDing impossible) and they are not a part that they want shrouded in secrecy then there is a high chance of buying them.

It looks from the pic that they are readable but just fuzzy, so I can hope :) 
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 9:34:28 PM

Pandylion said:
Hi. Thanks for your reply !

I looked around earlier and I found some Multiplexer and demultiplexers for £1.08 each. On the site I used they were listed in the PCIE category and came with part numbers.

Obviously I cannot read the pic I posted (the chip IDs) so that will need to wait until I get the card tomorrow.

But, if Nvidia have not scraped off the numbers (typical for certain manus, makes IDing impossible) and they are not a part that they want shrouded in secrecy then there is a high chance of buying them.

It looks from the pic that they are readable but just fuzzy, so I can hope :) 

They are, here is the part # from my 8800gtx.

MX 12G 25L100mc (top chip in row)
AT88.. unable to read last two characters due to paint 088C .U 0634
June 29, 2010 9:39:06 PM

Awesome ! Thanks so much for that !.

I have a feeling that one is the multiplexer and the other is a demultiplexer. From what my really clever friend told me today -

It's an automatic switch, for want of a better description.

Imagine if you had a load of, er, robot cars that were in three lanes, but there were roadworks so everything had do go down the same lane. The multiplexer would filter the cars down into the one lane, and a demultiplexer would separate them out into three lanes again (the same three lanes as they were on) at the other end.

Note the three lanes thing? I am confident that one of the lanes is dead (green). This would explain why the card doesn't artifact or crash and will pass Furmark ETC on the second DVI (and the first, but only in purple :D 

If I can ID them (thanks again for IDing them for me) then I can very probably get them. Some one else has told me that they are standard IC mult/demult and widely available.. Time to run those numbers and see what I can find !
a c 172 U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 9:46:18 PM

Good luck let us know how things go.
June 29, 2010 9:49:23 PM

Under PCIE multiplexers nothing showed up. I also googled the first one and nothing..

I've now put it on the EVGA forum so hopefully some one will tell me what they are on there.

It doesn't bother me that much so long as I can play games on the second DVI which apparently works 100%. The guy has had the card in Furmark for eight hours too and ran a 3DMV and so on.

Thankfully it seems the failure is right at the output point and not with any of the main parts of the card. Also, I have been advised by a mate of mine to try it connected to DVI and not to use the VGA converter as that doesn't use the RGB lines at all. They only come into use when you run a VGA monitor on there so could bypass the problem on DVI.
June 30, 2010 2:54:09 PM

I'm back :D 

Well the card arrived this morning. To my surprise it was immaculate and has just been repasted throughout (I could tell 'cos it had white fingerprints all over it haha). Best of all it's the KO edition with the added heatshroud for the top of the card !

Fitted it and the first DVI did nothing. However, I have it on a VGA monitor using a lump converter so I would imagine that is why. Plugged the monitor into DVI2 and was up and running in perfect colour. Went into Windows and installed the drivers, no issues. Ran 3DMV and got this -

Which I am absolutely thrilled with as I was getting this before (same CPU Phen 9950 and SLI 8600GTS 256mb)

Gave Furmark a bashing and managed to hit 90c which is normal for this card (being the KO model) and no problems. Have played Fallout for about four hours today and not a single issue and man, it flies in comparisson with before ! I do have another (better) rig sat right next to it but the silver one allows me to play laying in bed :D  Here is the card in its new home, where (touch wood and fingers crossed) it will stay.

I have a strong feeling the chip with the burnt leg is nothing more than a display driver that switches the signal and so on. I know that each DVI has an independant one of these so one dead one should have no bearing on the other.
a c 172 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 5:19:48 PM

I think you will be ok in the long run. Just be sure to keep the card cool. They last for years when you keep then below 80c.
June 30, 2010 5:22:27 PM

It's idling at 66c after I exit a game. I haven't checked it on a 'long idle' yet but it seems pretty darn good. My cousin has an 8800GTX and I fitted a fan right in front of it on a bracket and got it down to 54c idle so I will probably do the same with this. It's bound to run hotter than the GTX though being an ultra and the KO version.

I must say I don't game on it for prolonged periods of time any way. That is taken care of by my main rig (Xfire 5770). I just like playing Fallout 3 on it because it's easy to use with a 360 pad (because of VATS) so I can lay on my bed all comfy :D 
!