superluker

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
hi, my PC has recently been making a scratching/clicking noise, I'm not sure how long it's been doing it, but I have just noticed it now.

I immediately thought it was the HDD, and removed the side panel to listen close, once I took the side panel off, it stopped. When I place the case near the pc, the clicking stops, it doesn't even have to be completely attached. I can have like 2 inches between the side panel, and it being secured, and the clicking noise will start. The fans are definetly not hitting it, and I dont see any wires or anything touching the fans.

Is this just a normal noise all pc's will make, and I'm just noticing this now, or is something up?

It does not make a sound like something is hitting something, as it gets quieter and louder, sometimes stops completely for a few seconds,

The case panel almost touching it should not make it start or stop, it has no influence on anything if its not making any contact. See if you can find out what you use your computer for that makes the clicking occur, if it can be reproduced consistently that will help narrow it down to what components it might be. Most common sources of clicking would be hard drive, optical drive, and fans so check to make sure all of your fans are clear of everything, and you probably want to back up the data off your hard drive in case its a sign that its failing.

superluker

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Perhaps I am just over reacting, I don't know, but it definetly stops when the case is removed.. What sound should I be looking for? I would probably describe this as a gentle scratching that gets louder and quieter, and sometimes stops completely for a few seconds.

nothing is obstructing or touching any of the fans, it really doesn't sound like that, maybe im describing this poorly, it sort of is like a higher pitched scratch or clunk?

superluker

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Here's a video.

View My Video

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I had something similar to this happen to me. It was the inlaws old dell tower. One of the old P4's that had the green plastic ducting over the cpu heatsink. It would never make the noise as I was investigating the case but as soon as I went back to doing something on the computer I would hear it again. Turns out it was the cpu heatsink fan spinning up and scratching the green ducting that had come loose. I only heard the noise when I was stressing the cpu causing the fan to spin faster.