Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Motherboard Temp Question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2011 4:34:46 AM

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I tried to find similar threads and did not find exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, my question is this:

After having trouble with my Motherboard and CPU getting very high in temp (60C or so) I got a nice new copper-based cooling unit for my PC. It's done a great job at lopping temperature off the top, but it raises the question: What's considered "okay" running temperature? Right now I'm using EasyTune 6 to monitor, and at idle it looks like this:

System 39C
CPU 27C

Under duress, the system gets up to about 45C and the CPU gets up to about 35C. That's not a huge increase, but by default ET6 starts freaking out at 40C, so I thought I'd ask what exactly is okay for my system to run.

My specs are:

Mobo GIGABYTE EP43-UD3L

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7500

Memory: Currently 3GB DDR2... I recently bought a 2 GB stick to add in but it turned out to be corrupt. Thought I'd mention that because I *want* to run 5GB.

GPU: Radeon HD 6750 1 GB GDDR5 (currently running at 51C)

Not overclocking any devices.

Can provide other info as needed. Thanks for reading and, of course, for any info you can offer.

(Note: I selected Asus as the sub-cat, but only because GB wasn't available from the list. Sorry!)
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 5, 2011 5:58:18 AM

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36503 Tcase is 74°C so as long as it's below that you're good. Try other temperature monitoring software like hwmonitor, realtemp, or coretemp. And stress it with prime95. I'm not sure how you're stressing it as you didn't say. Full load at 60°C is fine but cooler is always better. Prime95 will get hotter than full load in a real world app like a game or rendering but it's good to know how hot a real full load will get. I think my old c2d sat around 50°C when gaming.
m
l
June 5, 2011 6:21:58 AM

74C? Wow, that's pretty high. I think I've been getting worried about my system's performance for nothing. (Some of the errors that were occurring on my PC, which turned out to be due to faulty RAM, also listed CPU/mobo temp as a possible cause when I looked them up.) Sorry I wasn't more specific; I'm new here, naturally, and I'm not used to worrying about temperature; I've built several machines over the last 5-6 years but none of them had issues that made me worry about it.

I'm not terribly scientific when it comes to stress-testing; again, I'm not used to this kind of thing. The temps get to their highest when I play Civilization 5 while running Firefox in the background, during which it can actually get up to about 50C depending on how long I play. You linked the temp limit for the CPU; my only concern left is the mobo itself. As long as 50C is fine, I can go back to thinking about exchanging the faulty RAM chip and wondering why ET6 wanted 40C to be the cap. :) 
m
l
June 10, 2011 5:46:29 AM

It is never a good idea to mix new and old ram, especially ram with different densities or timings. I am not really surprised that you started having stability issues when you tried to up your ram to 5GB.

And I second K1114, you should stress test your PC if you are overclocking it otherwise you really don't know if it is performing all of its calculations correctly. That could also be a part of your system instability.
m
l
!