Sign in with
Your question

Vertical sync or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2010 8:52:44 PM

Hi, I recently bought a i5 750, 2gigs of ram and a XFX HD5850 Black Ed.

The Problem is when I run games or even when Windows turn on it makes lines through the screen like wat vertical sync does, but weird thind is Vertical sync is of.

can it be my RAM botlenecking GPU or the ATI Drivers im runing Windows 7 ulti. 32bit

More about : vertical sync

a c 189 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 4:41:01 AM

What? vertical lines that appear through the screen is not a V-Sync...
It means your card is going bad or the PSU is not have an enough power to run HD5850 or your card is overheating...

What is your PSU? brand? model?
Did you check the temps?
Also add another 2GB of RAM would help you MUCH... :) 
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 4:53:25 AM

Are the lines vertical or horizontal? Vertical Sync stops the horizontal screen tearing lines from occuring, it does not create any. If the lines are vertical then its a hardware issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 4:53:31 AM

The Problem is when I run games or even when Windows turn on it makes lines through the screen like wat vertical sync does, but weird thind is Vertical sync is of. said:
The Problem is when I run games or even when Windows turn on it makes lines through the screen like wat vertical sync does, but weird thind is Vertical sync is of.

#1. what do you mean by windows turn on? window mode? when under window mode, Vsync doesnt work.

#2. you mustve confused vsync-on as the lines that appears on the screen when your monitor is refreshing (screen tearing). Vsync "On" (when not in window mode) will remove screen tearing, Vsync "Off" does the opposite.

so try running your game full screen and turn on Vsync.
m
l
June 30, 2010 11:54:05 AM

Its horisontal lines firstly, when windows open for the first time to my dectop when I switched on the PC (from the black creen to windows desktop) it makes HORISONTAL rippels,

Now if read that the Catalist is the cause in 7 Aero is the cause of that (it cant run Aero not sure if thats true hten Il have to wait for update. Im running a Raidmax 730ss 730 watt power suply (dont think thats the prob.

Its not line lines it more pixels moving or when I play new games only my machine runsn fine on Crisis but on Metro 2033, Assasins creed 2, Stalker Call of Pripyat it makes those line as if waiting for screen to refresh or grafix car to send next frame. it also only happens when I look arround, the FPS is OK above 40
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
June 30, 2010 12:30:41 PM

In games what you are describing sounds like screen tearing. It isn't the screen waiting for the card to send the next frame, it is the opposite; the frame rate is higher than the refresh rate so you are seeing two different frames at once. Turning on V-Sync fixes this problem by matching the card's output to the refresh rate of your monitor.
m
l
!