Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hyper 212, CM 690 II, and Case Fans

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2010 3:50:41 AM

Hey Everyone,

First post here, but been visiting the Tom's Hardware website for over a year :-) A great website by the way.

My question is about my case the CM 690 II advanced, the Hyper 212 plus cooler, and case fans for the 690 II advanced case. I have right now a stock cooler and would like to overclock my I7 cpu, and have decided on the CM Hyper 212 plus heatsink, but will it fit in my CM 690 II advanced case and still allow me to add two 120mm case fans on the side of the case? I searched the messageboard and couldn't find any answers. Any help would be very helpful.

My specs are;

Intel I7 860 @ stock settings with a stock cooler
CM 690 II Advanced case
EVGA P55 SLI Mainboard
2 BFG Tech GTX 260 cards in SLI
OCZ Fatal1ty 700 watt PSU
6 GB Samsung DDR3 1333
Samsung Blu-Ray combo drive
1 TB HD

Thank you all in advance :-)
a c 667 ) Power supply
October 12, 2010 2:54:40 PM

The case has a limit of 6.9" max cooler height, the H212+ is 6.25" so if you can get a fan that is equal or less than 0.675" it would fit.
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 12, 2010 9:03:05 PM

You'll be able to use the lower side panel mount.
I have a 690II Basic with a 212+ installed and one side fan in the lower mount.
Related resources
a c 77 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 3:45:32 AM

"Say it's Great to be a Flordia Gator.. Say it's Great to be a Flordia Gator" - How we long for Tebow :( 

Okay... Back on topic :) 

Davcon is correct. You will be able to use the bottom mounted side fan but not the top. With the cooling of that case, it really won't be needed, plus the more fans you add the higher the risk of negative impact. When you add more fans, you have to make sure you keep the right balance of intake to exhaust for proper air flow. If you don't, you end up trapping the hot air in the case with no where to go.
October 13, 2010 1:59:17 PM

Yep, bottom fan spot will be available, top will not.
October 18, 2010 5:32:32 PM

it will fit just fine assuming u don't have a fan for the north bridge. :)  my v6gt fits just fine on my 690II advanced.
October 20, 2010 2:52:30 PM

Hey, Thanks guys for your reply's. I looked at my case yesterday and did notice that the bottom fan mount will probably be the only spot available. That's what I originally thought, but wanted to ask to make sure.

I do have another question. Since I have an SLI setup would a bottom fan help cool the cards? Right now they stay at 45 c idle and heat up to the high 60's and very low 70's when gaming. I know that's not bad at all, but since this is my first pricey gaming rig I'd like it to last for as long as I can.

Tecmo34 -- It is great to be a Florida Gator and nice to see one on the boards, but your right how we do long for Tebow. The coaches keep wanting to use Brantley in running plays and we all know that's not what made him big in High School, he's a passing QB. Still our O line isn't doing anything to protect him and we just can't make plays. I can go on & on, but I'll spare you as I'm sure you know that our offense is not having a good year.

October 20, 2010 3:18:13 PM

Bottom fan will def help, but having the side fan blowing some cool air between the cards will be good too.

Best solution

October 20, 2010 4:02:48 PM

fl-gators-fan said:
Hey, Thanks guys for your reply's. I looked at my case yesterday and did notice that the bottom fan mount will probably be the only spot available. That's what I originally thought, but wanted to ask to make sure.

I do have another question. Since I have an SLI setup would a bottom fan help cool the cards? Right now they stay at 45 c idle and heat up to the high 60's and very low 70's when gaming. I know that's not bad at all, but since this is my first pricey gaming rig I'd like it to last for as long as I can.

Tecmo34 -- It is great to be a Florida Gator and nice to see one on the boards, but your right how we do long for Tebow. The coaches keep wanting to use Brantley in running plays and we all know that's not what made him big in High School, he's a passing QB. Still our O line isn't doing anything to protect him and we just can't make plays. I can go on & on, but I'll spare you as I'm sure you know that our offense is not having a good year.

Yes, it will. from my current setup (before i stupidly flashed the bios and messed it up), my 2 gtx460 was having a temp of 90C and 81C without the fan under full load using furmark. With the fan at the bottom side, my temps improve to around 85C and 78C. Well the high numbers is caused by the high ambient temp here ~30C. However, while playing games like ACII, DragonAge, Mass Effect II all at full settings, my temp never did get past 60C. Basically it helps the top card a lot having fresh air coming from outside the case, just make sure to add an additional exhaust at the top. :) 
October 21, 2010 7:42:33 PM

Just received the Hyper 212 plus today in the mail (man this thing is big) I also have some 120mm CM case fans that I got too.

In a few days I'll have to take my PC to a shop since I've never done any work on a PC myself. So if I've understood you guys correctly I should add 1 120mm case fan on the bottom mount and add another 120mm fan at the top, using the bottom fan to bring cool air to the cards and have the extra top fan as exhaust?

So I'd have 2 intake fans (front & bottom side) and 3 exhaust fans (2 at the top "140mm and 120mm" and 1 at the back)

If that sounds like a good setup & correct let me know. Oh another thing should I let the PC shop OC my CPU or do it myself? I don't know if most computer shops believe in overclocking or not and if not I have some clear and easy to read instructions.
October 22, 2010 4:58:26 AM

Actually u can fit 140mm fans both at the bottom side and the top for better air flow.

for OC'ing, not so sure bout that, i usually do it myself. I've seen some shops offering to OC your assembled using their parts(running at 24hrs in prime95) although its quite heavy on the pocket.
October 22, 2010 4:55:44 PM

Yeah I know the 140mm fans would be better, but I choose an extra 120mm Cooler Master case fan with my order. I'll have to order another CM fan before I go to a local PC shop, but everyone's advice has been very helpful and much appreciated.

I guess it would be better to slightly OC my CPU myself. I'm not looking for much OC, maybe say 3.2 to 3.5 GHZ. My I7 860 is at 2.8GHZ and I just want to bump it up some.
November 1, 2010 3:02:50 AM

Best answer selected by FL-Gators-Fan.
a b ) Power supply
November 1, 2010 6:27:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!