Changed my mind, going from i5 -> i7

kmart2k1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi guys-

So I posted earlier this morning. Basically building a SC2 rig, got some great feedback on alternate parts.

Earlier Post

I tried to summarize the changes from the original post below the dotted line.

Anyways, I was thinking if my work pays for half this rig, why not go for an i7? Do you see any bottlenecks which should also be upgraded to take advantage of the i7? Would I need some kind of additional cooling system? Was going to go for this chip:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Looking forward to putting in my order, thanks for the help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First time building a computer. Wanted to see if anything is incompatible or you can improve upon it. I am especially not sure what motherboard
to get, I put two on there that got pretty good reviews. My main goal is to make a good computer to play Starcraft 2 on, from what I've read this is probably overkill, but my company pays for half the computer so why not? Any recommendations or red flags? Thanks for your help in advance.

i5760 and gtx460

XFX 650W + Samsung F3 1TB

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

G

i am planning on building a computer myself for the first time as well. it's gonna be very similar to what you have. with everything listed, what's total cost before taxes?