Sign in with
Your question
Solved

If I were to build a system one piece at a time?

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2010 8:36:52 PM

Ok, here there are my assumptions. I have a very tight budget, and I want to build a new gaming system one piece at a time. Say, I buy the case this month. Then, what will I buy next month when I have more money to buy. I ask this question because I can see that unless one has all the things to build a new gaming system, then one may not have a way to claim that, say the motherboard which was possible bought a few months before all the items came together is DOA because I could not test it until all the items or most of the items came together. I hope that I made my case clear enough.

For example:

month 1 - I buy the case
month 2 - I buy the mobo
month 3 - I buy PSU
month 4 - I am lucky and buy CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM
month 5 - I buy 2 HDDs and DVD burner
month 6 - I was lucky again, and bought the rest of the stuff

So I am now ready to assemble my gaming system, and find out, for instance, that the PSU which I bought on month 3 is DOA. I don't think that after 3 months I can take back the PSU to the store to have it exchange since most stores around here may not give you that much time for an exchange. The same logic applies to the mobo which was bought on month 2, and could have come DOA, but it was not found out until much later in the process.

So I don't think this is doable unless one has all the stuff within at least one month so that one can try to exchange any defective part. I hope this make my case clearer, and thanks for your responses.

Ciao!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2010 8:44:34 PM

Do you have another machine into which you could place some of these parts? Possibly extra bays to install the hard drives and DVD? Buy those first, then save up and buy the mobo, CPU and RAM last, because they would (probably) not fit into a pre-existing configuration.
m
l
August 5, 2010 9:01:16 PM

eloric said:
Do you have another machine into which you could place some of these parts? Possibly extra bays to install the hard drives and DVD? Buy those first, then save up and buy the mobo, CPU and RAM last, because they would (probably) not fit into a pre-existing configuration.

Yes, I have an old PC, but if I buy for instance any Sata HDD or DVD, I don't think I will be able to test them. On the other hand, I do have laptop with on eSata port; could it be use to test some of these peripherals? How can I supply power to these devices? I guess it may be better to save up and buy all the components within a month or two and then build the system. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 5, 2010 9:11:33 PM

It's not a great idea to buy builds in parts. You'll generally pay more due to buying the parts when they're newer and run the risk of getting parts that don't work. By the time you'll be able to actually test them, the deadline for returning them will have past. Also, many places will run deals on parts when you buy them together, so buying the pices one at a time will cost you even more. I highly recommend saving up over those six months and buying everything together.

Basically, the only parts you can safely spread out are the case, CPU cooler and optical. The prices aren't likely to change for them and there's little chance they'll arrive DOA. The optical can also be replaced on the cheap. Depending on the board you choose, it's possible you could buy the board, CPU, RAM, PSU and HDD altogether and wait on the GPU. Of course, that requires getting a board with onboard graphics, which will let you boot everything up.
m
l

Best solution

August 5, 2010 9:27:56 PM

I would just save up for the 6 months and buy it all at once.
August 5, 2010 9:54:34 PM

orestesdd said:
Ok, here there are my assumptions. I have a very tight budget, and I want to build a new gaming system one piece at a time. Say, I buy the case this month. Then, what will I buy next month when I have more money to buy. I ask this question because I can see that unless one has all the things to build a new gaming system, then one may not have a way to claim that, say the motherboard which was possible bought a few months before all the items came together is DOA because I could not test it until all the items or most of the items came together. I hope that I made my case clear enough.

For example:

month 1 - I buy the case
month 2 - I buy the mobo
month 3 - I buy PSU
month 4 - I am lucky and buy CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM
month 5 - I buy 2 HDDs and DVD burner
month 6 - I was lucky again, and bought the rest of the stuff

So I am now ready to assemble my gaming system, and find out, for instance, that the PSU which I bought on month 3 is DOA. I don't think that after 3 months I can take back the PSU to the store to have it exchange since most stores around here may not give you that much time for an exchange. The same logic applies to the mobo which was bought on month 2, and could have come DOA, but it was not found out until much later in the process.

So I don't think this is doable unless one has all the stuff within at least one month so that one can try to exchange any defective part. I hope this make my case clearer, and thanks for your responses.

Ciao!

Newegg does 12 month no interest if you qualify for their charge accounts and purchase over $500 could be a better option that allows you to pay it off month by month as though you were buying it but lets you get it all at once.
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:28:18 PM

duk3 said:
I would just save up for the 6 months and buy it all at once.

Thanks. It seems more reasonable to save up and buy all the parts together. By the way, I live in San Francisco, CA, and do not drive, no car here. Can anyone recommend a good store where I can buy all the parts in person and deal with a retailer in person rather than online? Thanks for all your input.
m
l
August 6, 2010 1:43:22 AM

If you can find someone to drive you then you can consider going to Fry's to buy your parts
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:30:09 AM

anonymousdude said:
If you can find someone to drive you then you can consider going to Fry's to buy your parts

I used to drive to Fry's more than 10 years ago when I had a car, but I think I may stick with this Central Computer here in San Francisco. I think I can order most of my parts at the local store. Thanks.
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:35:15 AM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
l
!