Sound Card Recommendations

I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any recommendations
on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about sound card recommendations

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:30:41 -0400, "Mitch" <invalid@nospam.now>
    wrote:

    >I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
    >like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any recommendations
    >on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Pretty tough to beat the value of a plain old Sound Blaster Live!
    card. They are readily available, and you can get them for $20-$30.
    (check eBay too).

    "Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."

    Mitch enlightened us with:
    > I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
    > looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
    > recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

    I'm pretty happy with my SB Audigy.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    "Darmok" <cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:30:41 -0400, "Mitch" <invalid@nospam.now>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
    >>like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
    >>recommendations
    >>on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Pretty tough to beat the value of a plain old Sound Blaster Live!
    > card. They are readily available, and you can get them for $20-$30.
    > (check eBay too).
    >
    > "Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."

    Thanks.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > Mitch enlightened us with:
    >> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
    >> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
    >> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

    > I'm pretty happy with my SB Audigy.
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mitch wrote:
    > I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
    > looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
    > recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

    Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz

    Price dropped on those quite a bit over the last months as they have a new
    card out. You'll find quite a lot of audiophile's in the big-8 audio NGs
    who are crazy about them. I like mine.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:34:33 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Mitch wrote:
    >> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
    >> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
    >> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
    >
    >Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz
    >
    >Price dropped on those quite a bit over the last months as they have a new
    >card out. You'll find quite a lot of audiophile's in the big-8 audio NGs
    >who are crazy about them. I like mine.

    I tried one of them a while back, and was disappointed. First off,
    had some IRQ conflicts to resolve. Changed the card to a different
    PCI slot in my Gigabyte MB and that took care of that problem. Sound
    was definitely of a lesser quality and volume through my speakers than
    my previous SB Live!, but I continued to use if for a few days .. and
    then it just stopped working! So, I boxed it up, sent it back to
    NewEgg and got another new SB Live! (my old one had lost a channel on
    the secondary output). The SB Live! has been in service for about one
    and one half years now. YMMV

    "Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."

Performance Games Motherboards Sound Cards Video Games