Sound Card Recommendations

Last response: in Video Games
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 9:30:41 PM

I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any recommendations
on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 11:04:28 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:30:41 -0400, "Mitch" <invalid@nospam.now>
wrote:

>I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
>like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any recommendations
>on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
>
>Thanks.

Pretty tough to beat the value of a plain old Sound Blaster Live!
card. They are readily available, and you can get them for $20-$30.
(check eBay too).

"Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."
September 21, 2004 4:59:28 PM

Mitch enlightened us with:
> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

I'm pretty happy with my SB Audigy.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:54:08 PM

"Darmok" <cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:30:41 -0400, "Mitch" <invalid@nospam.now>
> wrote:
>
>>I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It looks
>>like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
>>recommendations
>>on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> Pretty tough to beat the value of a plain old Sound Blaster Live!
> card. They are readily available, and you can get them for $20-$30.
> (check eBay too).
>
> "Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:54:46 PM

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> Mitch enlightened us with:
>> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
>> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
>> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

> I'm pretty happy with my SB Audigy.
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 12:34:33 AM

Mitch wrote:
> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?

Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz

Price dropped on those quite a bit over the last months as they have a new
card out. You'll find quite a lot of audiophile's in the big-8 audio NGs
who are crazy about them. I like mine.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 9:56:02 AM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:34:33 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Mitch wrote:
>> I've been having some problems with game performance. ( Hang-ups) It
>> looks like it's the sound. It's running off the mother board. Any
>> recommendations on sound cards? What's the best for the money?
>
>Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz
>
>Price dropped on those quite a bit over the last months as they have a new
>card out. You'll find quite a lot of audiophile's in the big-8 audio NGs
>who are crazy about them. I like mine.

I tried one of them a while back, and was disappointed. First off,
had some IRQ conflicts to resolve. Changed the card to a different
PCI slot in my Gigabyte MB and that took care of that problem. Sound
was definitely of a lesser quality and volume through my speakers than
my previous SB Live!, but I continued to use if for a few days .. and
then it just stopped working! So, I boxed it up, sent it back to
NewEgg and got another new SB Live! (my old one had lost a channel on
the secondary output). The SB Live! has been in service for about one
and one half years now. YMMV

"Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."
!