Set the "library" to a different drive.

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi, i hope I'm in the right category for my question. Anyway my question is, is it possible to move/change the location for the "library" files in windows 7 to a different location? if so how? i want to do this because i want to have an SSD with my OS on it but everytime i download something, save, or move something, i dont want to have browse to the drive location everytime. And i dont want to set up a filing system in another drive. For example if i download something to the "downloads" folder in the directory i want it to save to another larger drive. Also is it possible when i install a game to install to another drive rather than the drive the OS is on. Well i hope this makes sense, please help!

Thanks
Tim

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Actually no, that's a misunderstanding.

Libraries in Win7 are not physically located anywhere on any drive. Libraries are like a meta-shortcut-aggregator for files that are disparately located throughout the system (many HDDs, externals, etc.).

You can put the files wherever you want, and then link them to appear under the library window.

'moving the library' as such, makes no sense, as it's neither a location nor a datatype.