Cheap memory - What's wrong with this stuff?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I've never been much of a fan of Fry's. I don't mean to sound cynical or nasty, but I don't trust them. Or maybe I just hate the layout (or lack of) of their website. Compared to newegg's web site, the Fry's site is awful, illogical and hard to use compared to the eggs site. Maybe it's just me and my old age or something. Mail in rebates are another matter too. You're lucky to get your money sometimes and you usually have to wait a VERY long time for it. I don't know if they're worth it sometimes.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

I just looked it up on newegg and they've "deactivated" this model of RAM. It's probably been superceded by a newer model and is perhaps being phased out. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, just perhaps a little long in the tooth. Check the specs.

BassetBoy

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

I couldn't say no to $20 RAM, so I bought it. DDR3 PC1600 8-8-8-24 with the only issue (for me at least) being it's at 1.65 volts. My Sandy Bridge Z68 system would rather have 1.5 volts. Do do I try and make it work by under voltage to 1.58 v or do I just take it back to the store?

This wouldn't be a problem if I just had unlimited funds.

Stupiditystrikes

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
This website does not even put in the specs of the ram. sure enough I know it's patriot, but what about the voltage? timings? frequency? etc.

I would not buy from Fry's. Go find something on newegg or tigerdirect.

This is probably deactivated for a reason on Newegg. I would not recommend buying it.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Not sure why people are hating on Fry's. I've spent many thousands there. I would build my house in their parking lot if they would let me. They have a great return policy and they will match neweggs price. Watch for neweggs one day sales and then go get it from Fry's if they carry it. I have scored many a great deal that way. Their return policy is a lot better than neweggs.

To answer your question about the memory, Fry's gets special treatment from many manufacturers just like newegg does. They will get rebates that are not available anywhere else. If you pay attention to their adds thay will sell manufacturer refurbs once in a while. I bought a refurbed $300 ipod music docking station for $30 and paid another $15 for a 2 year warranty. I can't lose.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Turk, I've spent thousands at Fry's also so I do buy some things there. It's a great, fun store in many ways and they're very good for many things like accessories, cables and connectors etc. And you can look at all the mobo's in person, laid out so you can see what they look like and judge their size and quality. They've also got tons of cases and other parts. I just think their web site is lousy.