Sign in with
Your question

Boot Problem - Nothing Happens

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2011 6:09:38 PM

I cannot boot my PC after several years of operation. I have an Asus PB5 Deluxe-WiFi-AP motherboard. This occurred after I returned from a 1 week vacation. I shut down the Win7 PC before I left for vacation. The PC was plugged into a UPS while I was away. There were no storms in the area while I was away.

The power switch works to turn the PC on. However the "power on" LED is not on. The hard drive LED is on. I cannot power off the PC by holding in the power button which is something I previously could do. The reset button will not work. I must turn off the PC by pulling the plug or using the PSU switch.

Here is what I've checked out so far:
1. I reset the CMOS via the jumper per Asus's instructions.
2. I replaced the CMOS battery.
3. I noticed that the PSU still runs all the hard drives and fans including its own fan. I assume that it is still functional.
4. I checked memory by rebooting with one memory stick at a time.
5. I removed ALL connections to the motherboard (except the one to power the motherboard) and got no beeps when I rebooted.
6. I powered on by jumping the power tabs on the motherboard. It turned on the PC but did not beep or boot and I could not shut the PC off by jumping the tabs for >5 seconds (to mimic holding in the power switch for 5 seconds).
7. I re-seated all connections including the ones on the PSU, hard drives, DVDs, USBs, and so on. I checked for loose screws or other abnormal connections.

Any additional ideas to try?

Steve

Specs: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP; BIOS v1215; CoolMax CUG-700B ATX 12V (V.2.2) 700W Power Supply; Intel Core2Duo E4300 1.8G CPU; 4 GB Patriot 240P 1Gx2 memory; 2 Seagate 320G SATA2 hard drives using RAID 0; Seagate 320GB axillary drive; 2 USB external drives; WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bit; USB Logitech mouse and keyboard.

More about : boot problem

June 6, 2011 12:21:16 AM

how long was the battery taken out of the mobo?
June 6, 2011 1:13:59 AM

About 4-5 minutes. Steve
June 8, 2011 10:43:00 AM

I tried a new PSU and it didn't help. Looks like a bad MB...
Related resources
!