Nvidia 3d surround

WC Aftermath

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have some questions about my new build:
Do i need a GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) or a GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) to run 3d surround?
Do i need more than one GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) to run nvidia 3d surround?
Then how do i tell if the new monitor im buying has a refresh rate of 120hz?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Not sure on the 3d surround stuff, but regarding the monitors:

Go to the manufacturer's web site and look under technical specifications, it should be listed there if it's capable of supporting the 120 hz refresh rate necessary for Nvidia's 3d technology.

Newegg usually does a good job of listing it too under the product's specs.

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Most of the monitors I've seen advertise "3d ready" if they are capable of 120hz. While shopping, just look into the item's spec sheet and look at the refresh rate tab. If you look on nVidia's site, they actually have a long list of graphics cards that are compatible with their 3d kit.

Beware though, if you are buying a new rig, you can only run at 1650 res while using the stereoscopic 3d kit, and (coming from a software developer) the drivers are rediculously full of tangles and are not at all user friendly. In my opinion, dropping the res and dealing with awful drivers makes the kit not worth the price that they are asking.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
you'll need sli to run 3d surround, even 2d surround required sli, as the 4xx series can only display on two monitors, even if you could do 3d surround on one card you most likely would have pretty terrible performance, as you cut the fps in half, and of course stretching across 3 monitors isn't easy either