Elements 3, nef, d70???

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 26, 2004 4:15:51 PM

I wonder if anyone can tell me what to do (or what I'm doing
wrong) about opening an nef file in Photoshop elements 3 and that more
complex screen with the white balance options and color histogram as
opposed to that simple gray box with the slider bar. I recently bought
a d70 and upgraded from elements to elements 3. Thanks for any
suggestions in advance. Ken

More about : elements nef d70

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:39:16 PM

"Ken Palmateer" <kenpalmateer@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> I wonder if anyone can tell me what to do (or what I'm doing
> wrong) about opening an nef file in Photoshop elements 3 and that more
> complex screen with the white balance options and color histogram as
> opposed to that simple gray box with the slider bar. I recently bought
> a d70 and upgraded from elements to elements 3. Thanks for any
> suggestions in advance. Ken

You need to make sure you have the correct Photoshop Camera RAW plugin
installed. I am not sure whether Elements supports it or not though.

You can download the plug in fromt he Adobe website.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:39:17 PM

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:39:16 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>"Ken Palmateer" <kenpalmateer@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can tell me what to do (or what I'm doing
>> wrong) about opening an nef file in Photoshop elements 3 and that more
>> complex screen with the white balance options and color histogram as
>> opposed to that simple gray box with the slider bar. I recently bought
>> a d70 and upgraded from elements to elements 3. Thanks for any
>> suggestions in advance. Ken
>
>You need to make sure you have the correct Photoshop Camera RAW plugin
>installed. I am not sure whether Elements supports it or not though.
>
>You can download the plug in fromt he Adobe website.

Yes, I tried that without sucesses, but then (to answer my own
question) I then completely uninstalled elements 3, rebooted, hooked
up the camera and turned it on, then re-installed Elements. Now when
I open an NEF file, the screen with all the options (white balance,
shapness, contrast, ect., along with the histogram) does come up.
Problem solved. Ken
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:02:49 PM

Hi Ken.

Go into the "plugins" folder in Adobe PSE, find the Nikon plug-ins and
delete them. Then make sure that Adobe Camera Raw is installed in the same
folder. PSE is simply using the Nikon plug-ins for NEF files instead of
ACR.

Cheers!
Kevin

!