Setting up Eyefinity on an HD 5770

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I recently built a new system, with the HIS HD 5770 as the GFX card. I was researching eyefinity for this card, and I am trying to figure out how to do it. I realize that gaming on 3 monitors with this card would be a little hard, but I wanted to test eyefinity out since I have enough monitors with equally supported resolutions and a card that supports it. The card has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 Displayport. Now, I don't have a monitor with a Displayport, and you can't go DVI-DVI-HDMI, so I was looking for an adapter to go from Displayport to either HDMI or DVI. Any recommendations on a good adapter to buy? I've heard that there are problems with passive ones - what's the difference between a passive and an active adapter?

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you want to know specifics..google it. All i know is that if your monitor goes to sleep with a passive adaptor, your monitor won't be detected when it wakes up...you have to reboot. Active adaptors basically tell the graphic card the monitor is constantly there to resolve this issue. So active is they way to go, and is what i use.

You can have 2x DVI and 1x HDMI monitors...as that is what i have for my eyefinity setup. HDMI is just DVI signal with audio.