Video & Sound freezes when playing Games

USTSince88

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400(2.66GHz)
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB
Audio Realtek High-Definition Audio ALC888
Power Supply 650W
Chipset Intel G31
Motherboard Name GIGABYTE GA-EG31M-S2

My computer works fine with everything but Video Games, I can watch movies, listen to music, download, install, whatever. But when I play a game, even on lowest settings and lowest resolution, it freezes after maybe 1 minute. The video has little checkers in different colors all over, and the sound starts stuttering like d,d,d,d,d,d,d,d,d. And I have to do a hard reset because nothing else will respond.
The Video card isn't overheating (78 C highest temp), the RAM and CPU is within normal range. I can't figure out what's wrong.

Picture of the screen:
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2674/img3678w.jpg

I've had my system for almost 3 years now, and it's been working perfectly the entire time.
I can (or could) run things like mass effect 2, dragon age, aion, EvE online, Assassins Creed 2, with full graphics at 1900x1080 screen resolution.
Nothing ever happened. Then I downloaded Fallout 3 GOTY on Steam, and it froze on me after like 2 hours of gameplay. Then It froze again after a shorter period of time.
Then I tried to play Assassins Creed 2 and it played perfectly for like 4-5 hours. Then I try Fallout 3 and it freezes my computer again. So I set the screen to window mode and made it less resolution than my fullscreen. Computer stoped crashing, but now it is crashing windowed mode or fullscreen mode, doesn't matter.

Anyways, I got all new drivers, I defragmented, I cleaned the inside of my box, I ran a Video Card stress test (using Furmark). I replaced my RAM with some spares I had, I even did a system restore to before I got the game. It still freezes.
Any help would be greatly appretiated!

aqeelamir

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
i have had a bit of similar problem. but i didn't any fuzzy colors. mine just stop working. with no display and buzz sound in the background. had to manually restart the computer. and all went is back to normal. watch hd movies with no trouble. but once i play games; every 5 to 10 minutes i had to restart.

i ended up cleaning my case. then finally i cleaned my gpu. removed the heatsink and reapply thermal paste.
and now im back to playing games and ect.

muthusep28

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am having the same problem. I can play games for 5-10 mins. It loads fine and plays smoothly for 5-10 mins. Then sound starts repeating and video crashes. It hangs and plays by frame to frame with sound echoing and noise starts to appear. It happens with new and old games. Old games like rise of nations which were working fine are not working now.

specifications : i5 2.2 Ghz, 3 gb ram, 1 gb nvidia gt 230 m. all drivers are up to date.