Finally, FINALLY ready to go. Please check it out - buying tonight

lostbridges

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Ok, after a lot of reading posts on here, I'm ready to go. I hope.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

BUDGET RANGE: $800 after rebates, shipping

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games, music recording, word processing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, dvd drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Reliable parts

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Thanks for the help. I don't really know anything about motherboards. This will be my first build, so hopefully everything checks out and isn't all that crazy (crosses fingers)

What I've been looking at so far:

MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145285

Case/DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.458438

GPU (I'm a big fan of NVIDIA)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.455033

CPU/Power
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.469005

Thank you again to everyone on this forum who offer their opinions. Pretty amazing site -- I was ready to pull the trigger on a Dell system when I started reading these forums.

Solution
wish i had taken a screen shot of it Here's exactly what I got

*OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB DDR3 1600 kit - (8-8-8-24)
*Lite-on DVD burner (lightscribe)
*Phenom II x4 955 b.e.
*ASUS M4A87TD EVO 870 USb3
*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700wat SLI (modular/80+ and came with 4gb USB flash drive)
*Cooler Master v8 Rifle heatsink
*Samsung spinpoint 1tb
*Raidmax Quantum mid-tower (was the only budget case we knew the v8 cooler would 100% fit in

Came out to $520 or so (this will be after rebates - obviosuly spent more now waiting for rebates)

lowriderflow

Distinguished
I just did a build with that Same PSU, the same GPU, and same CPU that you chose... lol. Nearly identical computers... it runs fine! the system only really uses 400watts or so, it's more than enough.

I found a better combo option using the PSU to combo with a DVDrw. They give you $20 off (since the DVDrw costs 20 its essentially free)
Then use the CPU to combo with RAM and get another 20 off.
combo Mobo with a case. If you rework your combos a bit you can save another 20 or 40 and get a free dvdrw

lostbridges

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Do you remember the combos you were talking about, lowriderflow? Also, if I do want to SLI in the future (if that's a more cost efficient way to go than buying a new graphics card down the road), is there a mobo you would recommend?

I found a better combo option using the PSU to combo with a DVDrw. They give you $20 off (since the DVDrw costs 20 its essentially free)
Then use the CPU to combo with RAM and get another 20 off.
combo Mobo with a case. If you rework your combos a bit you can save another 20 or 40 and get a free dvdrw

lowriderflow

Distinguished
well they're going to be different combos available with different components. I dont think that case was part of any ocmbos for you... but if you can get another combo, can get a better case for $30 more

You should know technically SLI doenst owrk on AMD boards. I beleive you have to hack them with some specialized software. I normally buy a $200 card every year and sell my old one for $100. IE i just sold my 260 for $125 and bought an MSI cyclone 460 on amazon for $205(235 with $30 amazon credit rebate)

Theres so many combos, i literlly jut spent 3 hours after i knew the parts i want... just rearanging the combos. but i did bring it down $40 over my original ocst plus got that free DVDrw.

I didnt save what i did, and my newegg emailed receipt doesnt show how i combod them. I know i did that PSU/dvdrw combo to get the free DVD drive. Then I did cpu/RAM - I beleive i did mobo/case bought 460 on amazon -

lowriderflow

Distinguished
wish i had taken a screen shot of it Here's exactly what I got

*OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB DDR3 1600 kit - (8-8-8-24)
*Lite-on DVD burner (lightscribe)
*Phenom II x4 955 b.e.
*ASUS M4A87TD EVO 870 USb3
*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700wat SLI (modular/80+ and came with 4gb USB flash drive)
*Cooler Master v8 Rifle heatsink
*Samsung spinpoint 1tb
*Raidmax Quantum mid-tower (was the only budget case we knew the v8 cooler would 100% fit in

Came out to $520 or so (this will be after rebates - obviosuly spent more now waiting for rebates)

Solution

lowriderflow

Distinguished
so you can rework those and try to figure out the combos. Your RAM will be slightly better for sure... but if you dont get the V8 it should be about the same total price.
-I think the only thing I didnt combo was the harddrive maybe?

The problem with OCZ PSUs are that they're good for the price, but they can be unreliable, especially if you plan on adding additional parts to the build. Even the 700W would be stressed to handle a dual card build.

Here's what I'd recommend for $800:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and ASUS M4N98TD EVO $195
RAM: G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $105
GPU: HD 5850 $270
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case/PSU: Lian Li PC-K62 and XFX 650W $130 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $18

Total: $793

I went a little lighter on the CPU, but it will overclock like a champ. The 5850 is definitely more powerful than the 460, and at that price, it's an excellent choice. I also threw in a very high quality PSU and a better case.