Copy UT from Linux

Hi all,

I have just re-installed my Linux system with a new version (Mandrake
10.1) when I came to put UT back on I couldn't find my GOTY disks. So, I
copied the entire UT directory from my server installation and put them
in /usr/local/games/ut on the client. When I run ut it works fine except
for the following.... If I connect to my server (or any other server
that requires a password) it asks for the password and plays. When I
reconnect to the same server it doesn't connect, it just sits on the
'connecting to etc etc' screen. If I delete my .loki directory it works
again. I have a feeling this is a permissions problem, but I cannot
figure out where.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Drew.
4 answers Last reply
More about copy linux

    drew enlightened us with:
    > If I delete my .loki directory it works again. I have a feeling
    > this is a permissions problem, but I cannot figure out where.

    Try

    $ find ~/.loki -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    $ find ~/.loki -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    drew wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just re-installed my Linux system with a new version (Mandrake
    > 10.1) when I came to put UT back on I couldn't find my GOTY disks. So, I
    > copied the entire UT directory from my server installation and put them
    > in /usr/local/games/ut on the client. When I run ut it works fine except
    > for the following.... If I connect to my server (or any other server
    > that requires a password) it asks for the password and plays. When I
    > reconnect to the same server it doesn't connect, it just sits on the
    > 'connecting to etc etc' screen. If I delete my .loki directory it works
    > again. I have a feeling this is a permissions problem, but I cannot
    > figure out where.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Cheers,
    > Drew.

    It's not a permission problem. Linux UT has always had a problem with
    passworded servers. IIRC, it was fixed in UTPG.

    MeltDown wrote:
    > drew enlightened us with:
    >
    >>If I delete my .loki directory it works again. I have a feeling
    >>this is a permissions problem, but I cannot figure out where.
    >

    > Try
    >
    > $ find ~/.loki -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    > $ find ~/.loki -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    >
    > MeltDown

    Thank for your suggestion, but no joy, I think I will have to search a
    bit harder for my disks.

    I have a query about the UTPG patch that Ravage mentioned. Would I be
    right in saying that the 4.51 UTPG parch is for my server? Or is it
    suitable for the clients also?

    BTW, I have found a workaround for my problem, I set up all the game
    options, keys, screen setup, network etc. then made my
    unrealtournament.ini read only to all users and groups. The only
    downside is that I have to enter the password every time I play on my
    server. Not a real problem, just an annoyance.

    Cheers all
    Drew.

    drew enlightened us with:
    > I have a query about the UTPG patch that Ravage mentioned. Would I
    > be right in saying that the 4.51 UTPG parch is for my server? Or is
    > it suitable for the clients also?

    You can give it a try.

    > BTW, I have found a workaround for my problem, I set up all the game
    > options, keys, screen setup, network etc. then made my
    > unrealtournament.ini read only to all users and groups. The only
    > downside is that I have to enter the password every time I play on
    > my server. Not a real problem, just an annoyance.

    Ok, fair enough.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Servers Games Linux Video Games