Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hp bad airflow i think nvidia gtx 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 30, 2010 5:01:42 AM

so im kinda stuck i got an hp elite with a nvidia gtx 260 in it. so the problem is that the case has poor airflow and i dont know what to do because its not like hp is going to design a new case for me there just going to replace the hardware. so i think the overheating may be causing my gpu performance to go down (im getting under 60 frames on source games)=fail so i would like some advice on what i should do about this issue. should i call hp and have then deal with it? but they really cant solve this problem. any advice?
a b Î Nvidia
June 30, 2010 5:22:16 AM

Bad airflow? what are your temps?

If you aren't satisfy with it's performance then you just can buy a better case for only $40-$60...
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 5:33:18 AM

wa1 said:
Bad airflow? what are your temps?

If you aren't satisfy with it's performance then you just can buy a better case for only $40-$60...


so even though its a prebuilt from hp i can buy a new case for it. and if so the hp case is small. will my mother board fit correctly in a mid size case.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 30, 2010 5:37:00 AM

what is exactly your HP PC?
could you give us a link?
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 6:10:15 AM

Wa1, I found a pic of his comp on new egg:

Pic of the inside of an HP elite: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

HP Elite: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like there is very little airflow from the front, as I do not see any intake fans and it would appear that the front panel does not have sufficient opening vents (looks like a solid piece of plastic).

Judging from the dimensions of the HP case it looks like it is somewhere between a Micro ATX and Mid Tower.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 6:18:29 AM

faune said:
Wa1, I found a pic of his comp on new egg:

Pic of the inside of an HP elite: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

HP Elite: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like there is very little airflow from the front, as I do not see any intake fans and it would appear that the front panel does not have sufficient opening vents (looks like a solid piece of plastic).


yup exactly its a good comp but airflow sucks. so would i be able to set my comp up inside this case.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product


also the mobo is pegatron truckee ul8e
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 6:29:17 AM

toastofwar said:
yup exactly its a good comp but airflow sucks. so would i be able to set my comp up inside this case.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product


also the mobo is pegatron truckee ul8e



The Antec 300 is a great case. My brother has that one an is satisfied with it.

I wanted to get it as well, but they were all out of Antec 300s and 200s when I got to the store. So I got this one instead: Cooler Master Elite 335, comes with one 120mm exhaust fan and has room for another optional 120mm intake fan, Which I added, and so far I am happy with it.

Just FYI about the Antec, my brother ordered it off new egg and it says that it only comes with 2 fans: 1 X 120mm rear exhaust fan and 1 X 140mm top exhaust fan. It was listed as having room for 2 optional 120mm intake fans. When he opened up the case the two "optional intake fans" were in there which is a big plus. Now it says that it comes with all 4 fans :)  :bounce: 
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 7:01:02 AM

faune said:
The Antec 300 is a great case. My brother has that one an is satisfied with it.

I wanted to get it as well, but they were all out of Antec 300s and 200s when I got to the store. So I got this one instead: Cooler Master Elite 335, comes with one 120mm exhaust fan and has room for another optional 120mm intake fan, Which I added, and so far I am happy with it.

Just FYI about the Antec, my brother ordered it off new egg and it says that it only comes with 2 fans: 1 X 120mm rear exhaust fan and 1 X 140mm top exhaust fan. It was listed as having room for 2 optional 120mm intake fans. When he opened up the case the two "optional intake fans" were in there which is a big plus. Now it says that it comes with all 4 fans :)  :bounce: 


will my mobo forsure fit in that case
m
0
l

Best solution

June 30, 2010 7:09:25 AM

toastofwar said:
yup exactly its a good comp but airflow sucks. so would i be able to set my comp up inside this case.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product


also the mobo is pegatron truckee ul8e



As to your mobo fitting into the antec 300... if its a standard m-AtX or ATX mobo it should fit no problem but because it is an OEM mobo I've never heard of (I'm new to this). I would check first before doing anything just to make sure. After a quick glance at the rear panels of both cases it appears that the setups of your HP case and the antec 300 are simply inverse.

HP vs Antec 300 setup
-The psu on the top vs the bottom
-i/o panel bottom right vs i/o top left
-rear exhaust fan bottom left vs top right
-expansion slots middle right vs middle left
Share
June 30, 2010 7:17:01 AM

faune said:
As to your mobo fitting into the antec 300... if its a standard m-AtX or ATX mobo it should fit no problem but because it is an OEM mobo I've never heard of (I'm new to this). I would check first before doing anything just to make sure. After a quick glance at the rear panels of both cases it appears that the setups of your HP case and the antec 300 are simply inverse.

HP vs Antec 300 setup
-The psu on the top vs the bottom
-i/o panel bottom right vs i/o top left
-rear exhaust fan bottom left vs top right
-expansion slots middle right vs middle left


so it will fit who would i ask
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 7:28:17 AM

toastofwar said:
so it will fit who would i ask


Well hopefully some l33t Über Geek will be able to say to you: "Faune, what a n00b, who hasn't heard of the'pegatron (Asus' OEM manufacturer) truckee ul8e'!?, oh and yeah it'll fit fine."

so untill then, I guess you just wait until some one answers this forum.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 6:42:18 PM

isnt that a btx form factor?
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 7:56:28 PM

ubernoobie said:
isnt that a btx form factor?


If it is a BTX, that would pose a problem for the Antec 300.
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 12:26:14 AM

faune said:
Eureka! Found it.


pegatron truckee ul8e: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Looks like an ATX to me. If it is that should be ok for the Antec 300 which supports both Micro ATX and ATX.

Anyone else take a look? And let us know what you think.


thanks. so i do not have to much experience with taking apart a comp is it hard? if so who could help me out? geek squad? im thinking not.
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 12:57:36 AM

toastofwar said:
thanks. so i do not have to much experience with taking apart a comp is it hard? if so who could help me out? geek squad? im thinking not.


It's fairly easy, just make sure you write down what was "unplugged" and you will be fine. You can use masking tape for the ends of the cable/wire if needed.

Once its time to put the PC back together make sure you install the motherboard standoffs (new case), install motherboard and all other hardware. Connect all the cables back to their respective spots (also make sure the case fans are connected to the PSU). Fire it up and you are done..

On a side note, you will want to take your time with the cable-management to get the best airflow possible.

m
0
l
July 1, 2010 8:15:39 AM

toastofwar said:
thanks. so i do not have to much experience with taking apart a comp is it hard? if so who could help me out? geek squad? im thinking not.



Also make sure that you are grounded and not putting it together on a rug. Try to take care of cable management.

As for the "Geek Squad" I didn't know they put computers together?

I thought that this is what they do:

Quote:
Geek Squad technicians have been caught on numerous occasions searching and copying pornographic content stored on their customers' computers without permission...

At least one former Geek Squad employee had come forward with allegations that the practice of surreptitiously searching for pornography on their customers' computers is not restricted to isolated employees, but is often shared with management at the location where the one employee worked. --SFGate


:lol:  (I just couldn't help myself)

Its more rewarding and cheaper to DIY. Or just bring it to a computer shop if you are too scared to ruin it.


m
0
l
July 1, 2010 6:51:41 PM

Yea steer away from any services that Geek-Squad may offer, they charge out the roof for simple things that take 5 min to fix.
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 7:30:17 PM

I understand his fear, when I built my first PC I burned a CPU and a mobo, forgot to place the isolators in the case. booted and the CPU just exploded... A spark came out of the heatsink, i remember it clearly...I managed to get a new one from Intel but the Mobo died =(. Good times...
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 8:24:10 PM

there should be no fear as long as you do everything by the book and stay grounded =)
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 1, 2010 8:59:15 PM

Look for videos on youtube, there is now one for everything. Very helpful, sometimes.
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 9:21:53 PM

+1^^

There are more than 150 clips that have to do with PC building.
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 12:43:31 AM

OvrClkr said:
+1^^

There are more than 150 clips that have to do with PC building.


ok final question my mobo is placed diferntly if my current case. to place it in the new case it looks like i would have to flip it upside down to fit is that ok cus it seams like everything would be arranged completly opposite in the other case
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 3:21:22 AM

toastofwar said:
ok final question my mobo is placed diferntly if my current case. to place it in the new case it looks like i would have to flip it upside down to fit is that ok cus it seams like everything would be arranged completly opposite in the other case


Correct, if your board was on the opposite side then you will have to install it upside-down in the new case , or you can ditch that board and upgrade to a "real" one :D 
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 4:44:47 AM

OvrClkr said:
Correct, if your board was on the opposite side then you will have to install it upside-down in the new case , or you can ditch that board and upgrade to a "real" one :D 


lol but i hear hp has all this random *** in place to prevent you from changing the board
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 4:54:01 AM

its a PITA to get windows reactivated when you switch a motherboard. Not saying you can't but its just way easier to just buy windows 7 and not have to talk with "bob"...

Just google the correct way to answer the questions from the MS representatives when they ask why you need to reactivate and you'll be fine. (takes 2-3 tries usually for me)
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 5:02:48 AM

lilotimz said:
its a PITA to get windows reactivated when you switch a motherboard. Not saying you can't but its just way easier to just buy windows 7 and not have to talk with "bob"...

Just google the correct way to answer the questions from the MS representatives when they ask why you need to reactivate and you'll be fine. (takes 2-3 tries usually for me)


just to say this kinda stuff is way over my head ima take it slowly as its needed i will upgrade stuff
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 4:17:37 PM

Just rig a 92mm fan in front of the card and check to see if that helps lower the temp.

Example :

m
0
l
July 2, 2010 5:02:24 PM

Then to be honest I would opt for a new board/case. Same exact thing happened to me back when I needed to upgrade an old Dell XPS that I had.

Bought the board and case and swapped all the parts.

From this :



to this :



bought a 40.00$ rosewill case/99.99$ Asrock mobo and used an old CPU cooler that I had.

m
0
l
July 2, 2010 8:13:38 PM

OvrClkr said:
Then to be honest I would opt for a new board/case. Same exact thing happened to me back when I needed to upgrade an old Dell XPS that I had.

Bought the board and case and swapped all the parts.

From this :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/Picture001.jpg

to this :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/DSC02658-2.jpg

bought a 40.00$ rosewill case/99.99$ Asrock mobo and used an old CPU cooler that I had.


how do i know what mobo would be good for me and would work with the stuff i have curently
also would i need a new cpu and how would i set it all up ( to work when i boot up )
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 8:29:01 PM

What RAM are you using? Can you post a link?
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 8:54:36 PM

OvrClkr said:
What RAM are you using? Can you post a link?


where do i find out my ram? u want a pic of my system?
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 9:29:03 PM

I cannot find the exact memory you are using, the HP page just says it uses PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066Mhz)
m
0
l
July 3, 2010 3:28:30 PM

i can't really tell by those pictures, remove one of the sticks and you should see a sticker that has the specs.

Or you can call HP and have them give you that info, I know what speed they run at but as far as the brand I am clueless.
m
0
l
July 8, 2010 2:15:16 AM

Best answer selected by toastofwar.
m
0
l
!