Sign in with
Your question

Asrock mobo vs. MSI mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2011 1:20:01 AM

Hi, I'm building my first PC from parts and I believe I am decided on almost everything... except the motherboard. From what I've read, these two motherboards are both compatible with my other parts:

G.skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Either Intel Core i7-2600K or Intel Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia 560ti http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-PCI-Exp...
Hard Drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036Q7MV0/ref=ox_sc_s...

So yeah. I know some of you at Tom's Hardware are fans of this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Newegg reviews are very good, but there are some various problems.

Other board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-... . This MSI boards looks pretty good for the cheaper price, but again, various problems for the Newegg community.

What do you guys think? Which board? Any other advice to a newbie PC builder?

Thanks for any feedback.

More about : asrock mobo msi mobo

a c 107 V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 2:02:30 AM

If I was going to buy an MSI board, it would be one of the -GDxx series. They have full Military Class II components, including Hi-C caps with Tantalum core, Super Ferrite Chokes, and solid caps. The lesser boards have Military Class II "Concept" (you have to look hard to see the difference in the logo) and are missing the Hi-C caps with Tantalum core.

The MSI P67A-GD65 is the rough equivalent of the ASRock P67 Extreme4 and Extreme6 boards.

If the -G45 board you linked has all the features you need (number of SATA ports, number of USB ports, etc.) then buy it. I went with a lesser ASRock board (the P67 Pro3) because I didn't need the extra features of the Extreme4.
m
l
June 11, 2011 7:02:55 PM

I have a very similar question, so i dont start a new thread for myself.

I need to choose a low cost P67 or Z68 board, but cant choose between Asrock and Msi. My current system now is: Asrock H61M-VS, 2x2GB A-data 1333, 2500k, AC Freezer13 pro, Sapphire HD5770, Samsung F1 HDD, Corsair CX400 PSU

In my country i have higher prices, like P8P67 210$+ and im looking for a board around 150$, what i can get here for 150$:
Asrock P67pro3
Asrock Z68pro3
Msi P67A-C45
and the Gigabyte UD3 series boards, but i dont like Gigabyte so much.

I cant choose, these boards are almost the same. Asrock is a little bit cheaper (5-10$) but MSI gives +1 year warranty. In the past i had only bad experience with MSI boards, but from users i hear very nice things now. All i want is a stable, good board, that offers me sata3 and usb3, has a nice integrated audio and can controll 2 fans. I want to use my cpu at 4ghz, so no big OC is in mind, only for some tests. Power saving is more important for me, coz my pc runs a lot and almost all the time at idle. (i know a guy who had this C45 board, and the Z68 Asrock too, he told me, that the Asrock consume 20W more then the C45)

So which one shoul i buy?
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 10:49:26 PM

get the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) for sure it looks good an has alot of features
m
l
June 12, 2011 12:06:17 AM

I second Yeckerz response
m
l
June 12, 2011 1:10:36 AM

I would most likely go for an MSI motherboard if I was pondering upon two motherboards, one being MSI one being non-MSI.

MSI is serious quality, I have an old MSI motherboard behind me(MS-6540) that's still chugging and it's been through a lot. I've changed nearly everything around it, but that motherboard still runs. I've replaced it with an Intel D875PBZ I'm running atm(old but suits me with my P4 Extreme Edition).

That MSI only lacks two USB 2.0 ports compared to the ASRock. The MSI board offers one more year of warranty compared to the ASRock board which is honestly a very good thing to have. I'm not TOO sure but I think that MSI can run SLI, when that ASRock cannot. Someone else make sure of that, I'm not too sure but I think so. At this point though, it seems to come down to quality and compatibility because both boards are very, very similar in ports/connectors, speed, and processor/RAM support.
m
l
June 12, 2011 1:24:14 AM

I just check the ASRock specs:

"Supports NVIDIA Quad SLI and SLI"

its a pretty impressive board for the price.
m
l
June 12, 2011 1:35:07 AM

Yeah but SLI @ what speed? 16x, 8x, or 4x, all those jumbled number on the Newegg website sometimes get confusing lol.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 3:02:32 AM

P67 PRO3 doesn't support Multi-GPU, the P67 PRO3 SE only supports x4 Crossfire and the P67 Extreme4 supports x8 SLI/Crossfire
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 3:07:27 AM

naturland said:
In my country i have higher prices, like P8P67 210$+ and im looking for a board around 150$, what i can get here for 150$:
Asrock P67pro3
Asrock Z68pro3
Msi P67A-C45
and the Gigabyte UD3 series boards, but i dont like Gigabyte so much.

...that the Asrock consume 20W more then the C45)

The ASRock consumes 20W more? I don't believe that for a minute. The difference between mainboards within the same class (with the same chipset) is usually 5W or maybe 10W. Maybe going from a P67 version to a Z68 version is 20W, but not with the same chipset.

The ASRock P67 Extreme4 that Yeckerz mentioned can do x8/x8 SLI, but it't not on the list. The Pro3 boards and the C45 are not capable of SLI.

I have the ASRock P67 Pro3 and it has been an amazing board. Rock-solid stable at stock and overclocked settings and forgiving when overclocked too high. My 2500K is currently clocked at 4.8GHz with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
m
l
June 12, 2011 10:28:43 AM

I dont need cf/sli, and the Extreme4 here costs 60$ more then the MSI C45/Asrock pro3. The boards have the same price, and almost the same features. Maybe Asrock overclocks a bit better, coz of 8+2 phase, but that is not an option for me, i need a board for ~2 years, and i think MSI is better for this coz of 3 year warranty. I asked about the board in the MSI section, i hope someone using this board.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 13, 2011 1:18:13 AM

Go right ahead and buy the MSI board then. If that's what you're concerned with, the MSI's warranty is certainly longer than the ASRock's warranty. All of those boards you listed are of the same quality level (including the Gigabyte boards), so you should be happy with any of them.
m
l
June 14, 2011 10:41:28 PM

What I had said in the first place.. MSI is better.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 6:37:48 PM

I wasn't agreeing with you, hyrule. On pretty much any other criteria, I'd put the ASRock before the MSI. I personally am not concerned with warranty length, but some people are.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 4:24:11 PM

It stands to reason that you only need the longer warranty on a product that will likely have a shorter lifespan. So, by using the warranty as a reason to buy the product, it stands to reason that you expect the product to fail at some point and need the warranty to replace it.
m
l
June 19, 2011 5:37:44 PM

Or i plan to change it after 2 years and i can sell it with 1 year remaining warranty... in the future i can get maybe 20$ more for the MSI, plus MSI has NEC USB3, so all that means i buy (alredy ordered) the MSI P67A-C45 instead of Asrock P67 Pro3. For me MSI is the best way.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 8:53:30 PM

Not all warranties are transferrable...which, depending on warranty laws where you are, that extra 1 year would be meaningless.
m
l
June 22, 2011 7:35:35 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
I wasn't agreeing with you, hyrule. On pretty much any other criteria, I'd put the ASRock before the MSI. I personally am not concerned with warranty length, but some people are.

I could care less lolz. ASRock is low-stock quality, nothing special. MSI is of higher quality and competes with Gigabyte, EVGA, and even ASUS(which I dont prefer). I'd compare ASRock with Biostar.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 4:28:47 AM

hyrule571 said:
ASRock is low-stock quality, nothing special. MSI is of higher quality and competes with Gigabyte, EVGA, and even ASUS(which I dont prefer). I'd compare ASRock with Biostar.

Correction: ASRock was low-stock quality. In recent years they have improved considerably, and they are comparable in every way to the other first-tier manufacturers. ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI are the Big Four nowadays. Every other manufacturer plays second fiddle.
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:46:55 PM

More like incorrect. You took EVGA out and made ASRock look better? Hahaha wow, please. No hard feelings, carry on.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2011 3:24:41 AM

Not sure when exactly MSI became "high quality" as I've had problems with every MSI product I've used.

I love getting calls from clients late at night going "Help!! When I turn my computer on, windows starts to load and then the screen goes black like it's going into standby mode. When I hit the power button to turn it back on it doesn't do anything!!" Followed up a few days after replacing the faulty MSI board under warranty by another call saying "Help!!! Now my computer can't find my harddrives!!".....seems to be the way of MSI... I've given up on MSI due to this being a recurring theme with their motherboards...

ASRock is nothing special??? Hmm...someone should tell their parent company that. I'm sure ASUS would love to hear that ASRock is "low-quality"...being that ASUS owns ASRock.
m
l
July 3, 2011 4:46:17 AM

MSI is a great company I don't know who you are coming out of nowhere acting like you work for MSI at a special desk prepared just for you there, but ASRock is owned by ASUS yes. If anything I've had garbage experience with ASUS, a laptop they've sold me, and the customer service I had to call for and I was treated as if nothing mattered after I had given them my money regardless if their product had messed up or not. ASUS is good according to many people, so I cant truely say they're garbage even though I've had garbage experience with them. ASRock is LOWER quality if that sounds better for you. MSI and all those other companies I've listed are HIGHER quality than ASRock, IMO. Enough on this topic, its dead anyways.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2011 5:10:28 AM

So, your OPINION, is supposed to be accepted by others as fact?

I've used 6 MSI motherboards....only 1 of which has survived the warranty period
I've used 4 MSI graphics cards....only 1 of which has survived any period of time.

So, among 10 MSI products, I've seen an 80% failure rate.

My last experience with MSI consisted of them telling me that they had no record of an RMA request. Then no record of an RMA request being approved. After being supplied with proof, they claimed they never received my graphics card. After providing proof that they had received it 2 weeks prior, they claimed they couldn't find it. Then they claimed they couldn't reproduce the problems with my card. Several calls later I was told by the supervisor of their RMA department that they don't even test products that have been RMA'd, instead they just replace them and throw the returned product in the garbage. A few days later, they claimed to have shipped the new card. Another 2 weeks later, after having not received the new card, I was told they were "out of stock and waiting for their supplier to deliver new stock".
m
l
August 6, 2011 3:17:57 PM

So, your OPINION, is supposed to be accepted by others as fact? - as quoted by you..

Look bud its easy to make up information and throw it out there for everyone to get fooled up by. I'd advise anyone to try MSI and if they're not good then fine do not get them, but first try them and just see how great that company actually is.

"Um, yeah i've had like 20 sound cards and 30 video cards from MSI oh and 10 mobos from MSI too all broke except 2, one of the sound cards and one of the mobos."**sarcasm** Lol okay bud. Just try MSI.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2011 5:41:22 PM

hyrule571 said:
So, your OPINION, is supposed to be accepted by others as fact? - as quoted by you..

Look bud its easy to make up information and throw it out there for everyone to get fooled up by. I'd advise anyone to try MSI and if they're not good then fine do not get them, but first try them and just see how great that company actually is.

"Um, yeah i've had like 20 sound cards and 30 video cards from MSI oh and 10 mobos from MSI too all broke except 2, one of the sound cards and one of the mobos."**sarcasm** Lol okay bud. Just try MSI.

Have reading comprehension issues? You're the only one to claim their opinion as fact. One of your earlier posts makes it appear that either you're simply blinded by your love of MSI (fanboyism)...or you work for them (which I doubt). Also, I state my opinions based on MY experiences and in no way imply that my opinion should be considered fact.... In fact, it's clearly stated in my posts that they concern MY personal experience.

I've been building computers for 15 years. I've used boards from Asus, FIC (First International Computer), MSI (Micro-Star International), Gigabyte, Intel, Foxconn, ASRock, ECS (Elite Computer Systems), PCChips, Biostar, DFI (Diamond-Flower International), Abit, Chaintech, Iwill and AOpen (Acer-Open).

You appear to be among the few that consider ASRock to be "low-quality stock". Gigabyte, however, is slipping from "First Tier" status by lagging behind technology. MSI is more in the range of ECS and Biostar. If you have the money to buy their "enthusiast" products, you might get lucky, but if you buy their mid-range or budget lines you get quality equal to PCChips or FIC, which have both been religated to entry-level OEM systems due to low quality.
m
l
August 10, 2011 11:13:24 PM

Regardless of your experience this is not a conversation of showing off how many years of experience we have and how many computers we've built. Don't start trash talk and say reading comprehension issues and such, no one here has time for trouble so don't waste your time starting it. One, I am a fan of MSI for the quality products they have. Two, it's a poor stated comment that you compare MSI with Biostar and it also makes you look less intellectual. Three, MY opinions are also based on MY EXPERIENCE and not just posted for consideration of a fact nor am I trying to force someone to believe that. So quit trying to make it seem like so, and that is also why I will leave you here to babble with your self in this dead post. So basically bottom line, IMO, MSI competes just fine with any other company like ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, or even ASUS, and doesn't need "luck" as you stated. ASRock, please.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 12:37:29 AM

wow...ignorance in it's purist form....
m
l
August 11, 2011 4:33:57 AM

I wouldn't be talking buddy, don't try justifying yourself by pointing me out first. Later gator.
m
l
!