Sign in with
Your question

HDD to SSD program transfer

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2012 5:28:35 PM

I'm sure there is a simple answer here, but I don't know how to phrase it so searches will return me the answer I want.

I got an SSD awhile ago, and have the OS successfully transferred and some optimization done. I mostly want it for the fast boot time and some commonly used programs to start quickly (chrome, hardware monitoring software, steam client but not games).

I however would like to keep most other things on my HDD (which still has win7 on it for now). Besides re-installing programs and games (I really want to avoid backing up save data such, there is a lot of it) is there a simple way to link from the SSD's programs folder to the HDD's program folder that isn't a shortcut. I believe there is a way to hardlink, but I forgot how.

Also, if I do the hardlinking of programs, will I still be able to start menu search things (been noticing it won't search the HDD when I boot up on the SSD OS).
a c 157 G Storage
October 28, 2012 5:32:24 PM

There will be issues when you move it.
October 28, 2012 11:01:57 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
There will be issues when you move it.

I've already done the move, and have managed to have most games boot just fine from steam with all the games installed on the HDD.

Worst case, I would at least like to be able to quick search the programs folder that is on the HDD.

Best case, create hardlink folders to the programs folder on the HDD.
!