Question concerning my Asus Motherboard

satchmosays

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hi,

I am new to computer building and all and just recently I bought a subwhoofer to hook up with my other speakers. I got this at a donation store and didn't notice that it was missing the power switch. One of the wires was cut off that led to the switch box to power the whoofer on and off.

Now I had plugged this in the different audio jacks on the motherboard trying to get it to work. Of course none of them worked since the thing couldn't even power on but I worry that this caused a disruption in the circuit and possibly damaged my motherboard or some of the audio jacks.

Do you think I damaged something or am I just paranoid?

Thanks,
-Satchmo

satchmosays

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure if it was powered up.

The sub has a power cable that plugs into a normal outlet or power strip. I plugged this in.

There is a port on the sub so it can be connected from the sub to an audio jack, (says speaker on the sub) I plugged this into the different audio jacks on the motherboard.

Then there is a third wire that goes to a power box module. That wire was cut and there is no power box module.

Here is the exact model on Newegg so you can see pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121010

As of now I have tested all audio ports on the motherboard and all seem to work fine. The only one I haven't been able to test is the "Line-in"

Probably no damage?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I don't see how you could damage an audio port on the motherboard. On the other hand, how did you power it up without the switch? You jumpered the wires? Does it work when you do that? I'm asking because you sort of imply that it was powered on even though the power switch is missing, according to your original post.

satchmosays

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

You're right, I don't think the subwoofer was even powered on. I did not jumper the wires. Just plugged in the power cable to the powerstrip.