Would 750W last longer than 650W?

yoake

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to choose a new PSU. My goal in mind is longevity.

Here's the basic system:
Core i5 750 (will OC)
Two DIMMS (will add two more in a year or two)
Three 7200 RPM drives (will never add more)
GTX 460 1GB (will SLI after a year or so)
9600 GT for Physx (may remove when I SLI, might not)
Probably 2-3 120mm fans
PCI card audio.

I know I'll be covered with a 650W PSU, and I was looking at Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W and the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W.

But I read that PSUs lose about 10% of their power each year, which sounds like a lot. So, I'm also considering the Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W and the Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W.

For a 650W PSU that sounds like:
1 year - 585W
2 years - 526W
3 years - 474W
3 years+1 day - EarthWatts out of warranty. TruePower in warranty for another 2 years, but can it be replaced for this reason?

And for 750W:
1 year - 675W
2 years - 607W
3 years - 547W

For the 650W's they both seem to become too weak for an SLI'd system sometime during the third year.

For the 750W's this seems to happen a bit later, but definitely before the warranty expires.

Is that the way it works? Any could someone shed some light on whether or not a PSU can be RMA'd for losing output capaticy?

I know there are several technical reasons to favor the TruePower series, but I'm more interested in longer the warranty.

Thanks in advance

lol, 10% each year is a joke. This would be based on a PSU in which the capacitors are leaking badly and it will end up not working. Stay with a good brand like antec, corsair, seasonic and you shouldn't have a problem. Id say if your going to run sli, just pay a bit extra for a 750w good brand PSU and it will leave you with power to spare. That way you won't be running the psu above 60-70% of its capacity at your max power draw with sli. That will ensure your PSU will last longer.

4745454b

Titan
I agree that 10% is to much. As crowe stated the issue is with bad caps inside the PSU. If you buy a cheap one they use bad/poor caps that will lose their ability to absorb a charge. If you get a good brand that used good caps, you won't/shouldn't have this problem.

As for 650 vs 750, I'd look at your budget. NEVER add another harddrive? MIGHT remove 9600GT? You might find that you can get a 750W for very little more then the 650W. If thats the case, I'd get the 750W. You never know what might be coming that makes you need to add X thing to your computer, and put you over the edge of that 650W.