Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to install a SSD correctly?

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2012 6:57:24 PM

Hi community,

Just got a Corsair GS today, and i have some questions. I plan to use the SSD to put windows, and programs. I still have the HDD installed with everything. How do I install a SSD? Do I just plug out the HDD, then plug in the SSD, then install windows? Not that great with SSDs, so I need some advice. Thanks!

More about : install ssd correctly

Best solution

October 28, 2012 7:36:42 PM

That's what I did. Unplug the HDD and plug in the SSD and install windows. Then I wiped my HDD and plugged it in and reinstalled my main programs on my SSD and everything else on the HDD.
October 28, 2012 7:44:11 PM

dragonsamus said:
That's what I did. Unplug the HDD and plug in the SSD and install windows. Then I wiped my HDD and plugged it in and reinstalled my main programs on my SSD and everything else on the HDD.

Oh, I see. Let's say, assuming I have everything on my HDD (windows OS, programs, etc.) right now, so I just unplug the HDD, plug in SSD, install windows, then plug in the HDD and format it?
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 8:49:36 PM

just make sure you have everything backed up on a external drive jsut in case something goes wrong first and your good to go. ssd can have software updates so check if your after you install it all. its pretty straight forward. when i converted to ssd i struggled cause i did a raid config and there was some compatibility issues with the ssd and windows but you shouldn't have that problem with just one ssd
m
l
October 29, 2012 5:37:58 AM

I wouldnt format the HDD. leave as it is with all the things as it is. all you have to do is go to the bios and choose the ssd as your boot drive. keep the os on it just in case you have issues with SSD. you dont even have to disconnect the hdd when installing the os on the SSD
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:23:22 AM

Best answer selected by ipwn3r456.
m
l
!