Worth the Upgrade to SP2?

Hi,

I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone Alarm
Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware
SE with all updates installed. I also run them frequently and rarely
come up with any parasites or tracking cookies.

Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?

I have searched Google and don't find any help there.

Steve
3 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrade

    Steve

    The first link has a download 'for multiple' computers..

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

    This link outlines SP2 features..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx

    And this is somebody else's thoughts on SP2.. I agree with the article..

    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Steve Marshall" <stevemarshal@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone Alarm
    > Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware SE
    > with all updates installed. I also run them frequently and rarely come up
    > with any parasites or tracking cookies.
    >
    > Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?
    >
    > I have searched Google and don't find any help there.
    >
    > Steve

    It's a complete no-brainer: SP 2 is a must for everyone.

    Ted Zieglar

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
    > - As for the firewall, well you already are running a third party
    > firewall.. Which you would likely do with SP2 installed and
    > rightfully so, as it allows you to (if you manage/understand the
    > firewall you are using) manage outgoing as well as incoming traffic
    > - so if you get infected with something, you are more likely to know.
    >
    > So, you say you searched the web for reasons to patch other than
    > those two but found nothing.. Let's make sure we have the same
    > notes of reasons given to patch with SP2..
    >
    > First, there is of course Microsoft's own "Top 10" list of reasons:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
    >
    > Well, that's a pretty generalized list.. but this ones gives you a
    > more detailed version..
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx
    >
    > And then going another level and explain the specific "additions" to
    > Windows XP that SP2 provides...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesoverview.mspx
    >
    > I believe Mike Hall has pointed to this article:
    >
    > If I was to give one personal reason for someone to upgrade to SP2,
    > it would be simple.. Stay up to date. If you do not stay ahead of
    > those who would just as well ruin your computer as anything else,
    > then you are inviting them in. Sooner or later (September 17, 2006
    > or so) support for your OS will be terminated, and while you believe
    > (and you are likely correct) you do not use the support from
    > Microsoft, you do in a way by applying patches - and many patches
    > will begin requiring SP2 to install..
    > But - you don't HAVE to upgrade.. It's not my responsibility to
    > convince you (or really anyone's) to upgrade. If you feel you are
    > safe, then there will be no changing your mind anyway. All I can do
    > is tell you that it's not a bad thing to upgrade, you do get
    > improved security and functionaility (for free) that many would PAY
    > for when it comes to other operating systems. You should prepare
    > your system for the worse *if* you decide to upgrade - as things can
    > and do go wrong with major upgrades all the time, don't be a victim
    > either way.
    > You seem to have a good start on maintaining your system, but
    > perhaps there is something you are not doing that you will find in
    > my list of tips. You use Spybot - but do you immunize with it? Do
    > you take it's advice and use SpywareBlaster? Ever heard of
    > IE-SpyAD? Have you considered other firewalls than ZoneAlarm? Do
    > you cleanup your hard drive and installed applications
    > occassionally? What about services and other startups - have you
    > managed them? Your Internet Explorer cache size, have you ever
    > looked at/considered that? How often do you run Disk Cleanup and
    > erase unneeded files (like old system restores)? How often do you
    > perform backupsand which antivirus application do you currently use
    > - have you ever used a free online one to double-check the validity
    > of the one you currently have installed?
    <SNIP>

    Steve Marshall wrote:
    > Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful answers and links to
    > other pages of information. I have ordered the CD and will install.

    You are welcome, Steve. Be sure to prepare before you install.. Backup
    important things.. Heck, if you already have Symantec/Norton Ghost - backup
    the ENTIRE thing. Never can be too safe! Check for hardware driver
    upgrades and patches for specific applications as well.. Then dive in!

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Configuration Windows XP