Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Worth the Upgrade to SP2?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:34:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone Alarm
Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware
SE with all updates installed. I also run them frequently and rarely
come up with any parasites or tracking cookies.

Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?

I have searched Google and don't find any help there.

Steve

More about : worth upgrade sp2

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:55:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Steve

The first link has a download 'for multiple' computers..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...



This link outlines SP2 features..



http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx



And this is somebody else's thoughts on SP2.. I agree with the article..



http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1724107,00.asp


--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Steve Marshall" <stevemarshal@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%236DCTgPVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone Alarm
> Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware SE
> with all updates installed. I also run them frequently and rarely come up
> with any parasites or tracking cookies.
>
> Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?
>
> I have searched Google and don't find any help there.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:23:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

It's a complete no-brainer: SP 2 is a must for everyone.

Ted Zieglar

"Steve Marshall" <stevemarshal@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%236DCTgPVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone Alarm
> Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder, and Adaware SE
> with all updates installed. I also run them frequently and rarely come up
> with any parasites or tracking cookies.
>
> Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?
>
> I have searched Google and don't find any help there.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Steve Marshall wrote:
> I have XP Pro SP1 on my always connected machine (cable) with Zone
> Alarm Pro, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, CW Shredder,
> and Adaware SE with all updates installed. I also run them
> frequently and rarely come up with any parasites or tracking
> cookies.
> Is there another reason for me to upgrade to SP2?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You mean your mention of AntiSpyware and your use of a third party
> firewall and a comparison with what you do now (in respect to those
> two things) and what you will do after you patch with SP2...
>
> - SP2 really isn't going to help you with spyware except for the
> pop-up blocker (maybe). The Add-On Manager in Internet Explorer
> could help you get rid of some of the parasites you collect..
> - As for the firewall, well you already are running a third party
> firewall.. Which you would likely do with SP2 installed and
> rightfully so, as it allows you to (if you manage/understand the
> firewall you are using) manage outgoing as well as incoming traffic
> - so if you get infected with something, you are more likely to know.
>
> So, you say you searched the web for reasons to patch other than
> those two but found nothing.. Let's make sure we have the same
> notes of reasons given to patch with SP2..
>
> First, there is of course Microsoft's own "Top 10" list of reasons:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
>
> Well, that's a pretty generalized list.. but this ones gives you a
> more detailed version..
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx
>
> And then going another level and explain the specific "additions" to
> Windows XP that SP2 provides...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...
>
> I believe Mike Hall has pointed to this article:
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1724107,00.asp
>
> If I was to give one personal reason for someone to upgrade to SP2,
> it would be simple.. Stay up to date. If you do not stay ahead of
> those who would just as well ruin your computer as anything else,
> then you are inviting them in. Sooner or later (September 17, 2006
> or so) support for your OS will be terminated, and while you believe
> (and you are likely correct) you do not use the support from
> Microsoft, you do in a way by applying patches - and many patches
> will begin requiring SP2 to install..
> But - you don't HAVE to upgrade.. It's not my responsibility to
> convince you (or really anyone's) to upgrade. If you feel you are
> safe, then there will be no changing your mind anyway. All I can do
> is tell you that it's not a bad thing to upgrade, you do get
> improved security and functionaility (for free) that many would PAY
> for when it comes to other operating systems. You should prepare
> your system for the worse *if* you decide to upgrade - as things can
> and do go wrong with major upgrades all the time, don't be a victim
> either way.
> You seem to have a good start on maintaining your system, but
> perhaps there is something you are not doing that you will find in
> my list of tips. You use Spybot - but do you immunize with it? Do
> you take it's advice and use SpywareBlaster? Ever heard of
> IE-SpyAD? Have you considered other firewalls than ZoneAlarm? Do
> you cleanup your hard drive and installed applications
> occassionally? What about services and other startups - have you
> managed them? Your Internet Explorer cache size, have you ever
> looked at/considered that? How often do you run Disk Cleanup and
> erase unneeded files (like old system restores)? How often do you
> perform backupsand which antivirus application do you currently use
> - have you ever used a free online one to double-check the validity
> of the one you currently have installed?
<SNIP>

Steve Marshall wrote:
> Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful answers and links to
> other pages of information. I have ordered the CD and will install.

You are welcome, Steve. Be sure to prepare before you install.. Backup
important things.. Heck, if you already have Symantec/Norton Ghost - backup
the ENTIRE thing. Never can be too safe! Check for hardware driver
upgrades and patches for specific applications as well.. Then dive in!

--
>=- Shenan -=<
>=- MS MVP -=<
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you
are the one ultimately responsible for your actions/problems/solutions.
Whenever possible, the advice will include the method/places used in
compiling the answer. Also, questions may have been asked to clarify
your situation OR to give you an idea of where to look - do not dismiss
them lightly.
!