Using 3-pin Y-Splitters to Control 2 Fans on One Header

mxbennett

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hey Everybody,

I have an ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 MOBO and I ran out of headers to plug my fans into. I currently use speedfan and there is only one fan in my case that I can't control. All fan ports are currently being used and the last fan that needs controlling is currently plugged into the PWRfan port (no control capabilities). I have a pair of XIGMATEK XLF-F1253 120mm fans and I want to know if I could use a Y-Splitter to run both fans from the Cha_fan port and control them both with speedfan (in union of course, not independently). I am just worried that the fans will draw too much power and fry my mobo. Is there any way I can check the power that the Cha_fan port supplies?

My main goal is to have speedfan control all of my case fans so if anyone has any other way that I can do that for this last Xigmatek fan I would be so grateful!

Thanks!

janella448

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
i suggest you get a digital multi-tester and see how many amps run through one of the fan headers. and it will be simple addition, if you add the amp rating of the 2 fans and it is lower than the amp rating you got from the header, it's fine. otherwise, you'll fry something. just my 2 cents. :)

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Ignore above. You'd definitely do damage that way.

My suggestion would be to find the current ratings of the fans, add them together, and see what that is for starters. Some motherboards (EVGA ones) handle up to 1 A. Your motherboard manual may say.

mxbennett

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for your help guys! I know that the fans are 12V fans but so far I have not been able to find the wattage or amperage draw. I guess this is one of those things that I need to see the numbers before I say, "Eh, it'll be ok." Any suggestions on how I can find that info about the fans or how to test them running in unison? I feel like it going to boil down to calling the company but I just felt like that info should be out there somewhere...

Thanks Again!

BTW. I do have a multimeter available but I only dabble in the art of power. Sometimes it gets a little complicated.

yremogtnom

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Remember basic physics: W = V * A
The manual for the mobo should tell you the maximum output for the fan outs

If you can't find it there, you can always send a request for the information to the manufacturer - they should have that information available.