Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7 now or after Sandy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 10:41:30 PM

Hello, I know somewhat similar questions has probably been asked a million times but this is a time sensitive thing, please forgive me.

I want your opions if I should go ahead and build a i7 rig now or wait till afer Sandy Bridge is released? This is from a price standpoint only.

I know that the i7 family has recently dropped in price in Sep/Oct and I want to here your opinions if you think it will go lower in the Black Friday/Holiday season or after the Sandy Bridge release(First weeks of January). Or do you think that the prices will hold at their current level?

Some things to consider:

1. I am not looking to buy Sandy Bridge, I belive the price premium will be to high and it will not come down to a acceptable point until after my upgrade window has passed(meaning I need something affordable sooner). And I know I cannot make it untill the high end Sandy Bridge is out, which I have not heard a timeframe for yet besides late 2011 and again I cannot wait for that price premium to subside on that part either.

2. If you would like to give your 2 cents on the direction of DDR3 RAM prices in that same timeframe it would be much appreciated.

3. Please, I dont need any philosophical answers saying if I wait for the next new thing I'll be waiting all my life.

Thank You.

More about : sandy bridge

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:03:11 AM

Even after the launch of Sandy Bridge I dont see the i7 prices to drop quickly.
You may find deals here and there for the holiday season but I think they will hold strong until something is released that performs near or better than the i7 930. For all the hype with Sandy Bridge, I will believe how great it is when I see it.
Same for DDR3, there will be deals for the Holidays but it will hold strong for awhile.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:04:08 AM

I doubt that there will be a significant drop in the price of the i7 after Sandy Bridge. Intel do not have a history of selling previous generation product at cheap rates. I never observed a major drop when the Core 2 family was replaced by the i Series.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:30:44 AM

Thanks alot for your input, I know its a long shot to get deals or special pricing on the exact parts that I want. So for now I think im going to go ahead with my build.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:37:52 AM

Wait for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Seriously. When I built my Q6600 rig, I was able to do it for about $400 using the Black Friday deals. I was also able to grab the X22-M G2 last year for ~$180 (where as normal prices for the 80GB were ~$300-350; 160GB ~$400-500) via Newegg on Cyber Monday.

And yes, the current LGA1156 prices will drop noticeably in a few months after Sandy Bridge comes out. I don't think LGA1366 will be effected much until LGA2011 hits.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 3:48:54 AM

Well Shadow703793, you make a very good point, but the only things I belive I will mangage to get a deal on is the HDD (Newgg has deals for it almost every week(waiting on SSD for later anyhow)). The PSU and maybe if im lucky the CPU(i7 950) because they are common items. But I think my chances are slim that the exact RAM I want and I already have great Mobo deal so thats out of the picture.

And im sure you know they need to all be purchased at similar times, I dont want to sit on parts and not be able to test them for DOA's and other good stuff like that.

I can get the 6gb RAM kit I want right now for $130 and will have 45days for return/exchange and that would put me right at Black Friday date (stocks for this RAM are low, 1-2 so I was told anyways) and I dont know if they will replenish them before the deal ends). Do you think that this is a good enuff deal to jump on it now and hope for the best?

Sorry about all the fuss about this but I didnt get where I am without being cheap frual.

Shadow703793 said:
And yes, the current LGA1156 prices will drop noticeably in a few months after Sandy Bridge comes out. I don't think LGA1366 will be effected much until LGA2011 hits.

You make a good point there, never really considered 1156's future outlook but that makes sence. while I did consider it but the performance and price difference wasnt good enuff at least at this point in time to deter me from going with 1366. And as for the 1366 that makes perfect sence aswell.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 1:06:41 PM

^Agreed. Also, the consumer LGA1366 will/should be getting 32nm Westmer refresh some time soon (After all, the Server's already have it). We *may* get a 6C/12T for a decent price after a few months.

Quote:
But I think my chances are slim that the exact RAM I want and I already have great Mobo deal so thats out of the picture.

Which RAM? Usually, imo, unless there is a specific reason, pretty much any decent set of RAM will work.
Score
October 13, 2010 2:48:38 PM

One thing you can be certain of Processor technology keeps on changing.
When the next gen. processors [Sandy Bridge] comes out, it's going to be the greatest and probably will cost you a shiny penny.
Most people in their right mind wouldn't part with their wallets/Banks just cause its new and shiny. So you'd probably wait until it drops in price and that's when they'll announce the next best architecture for processors.
And then you'd get into this cycle of waiting it out until the next gen. of processors.

In short......life's too short. Get whats available and reasonably priced to its performance ratio.
And like others have mentioned, look out for those amazing deals.

My 2 cents :D 
KingArcher
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:58:42 PM

^ Not really. Prices for the new CPUs drop a few months after release. I got my i7 920 for about $200 at Microcenter (~$250-280 @ Newegg) at the time, about 2 months or so after release. And it's still pretty near the top of the food chain still. It's been like what, almost 2 years now since it came out. If anything, your motherboard prices are the one that's going to be much different. When the LGA1366 CPUs came out, there were very few choices for an X58 boards and it was about $250 for a decent board. My first board was the first rev of the X58-UD3R, got it for about $220-240.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:59:00 PM

OP: If you look at the Anandtech reviews on Sandy Bridge (one of which had some preliminary pricing I think), you'll see that the engineering sample 2400 model (no working turbo, etc) managed to keep up with the i7-980X in some games. IIRC the 2400K model (unlocked multiplier) goes around the $250 range.

The mainstream SB's will be out early next year, and the performance SB's out in Q2 according to the roadmap.

You didn't state what your main uses are - gaming, video composition/editing, etc. - so it's difficult to know what kind of CPU you are actually looking for.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 5:51:20 PM

Hello everyone, Thanks for the great insites you all have I appreciate it, even if it is just somewhat a matter of opinion. Sorry about my absence on the tread also. I'll try to adress everything discussed.
Shadow703793 said:
Which RAM? Usually, imo, unless there is a specific reason, pretty much any decent set of RAM will work.
Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 RAM Module - 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) - DDR3 CAS7. I can get for $130 which is close to the lowest for similar moduals, I know some are down around $100-110 but I took a liking to these for the slightly better performance.
KingArcher said:
One thing you can be certain of Processor technology keeps on changing.
When the next gen. processors [Sandy Bridge] comes out, it's going to be the greatest and probably will cost you a shiny penny. Agreed.
Most people in their right mind wouldn't part with their wallets/Banks just cause its new and shiny Your right, I wont. So you'd probably wait until it drops in price and that's when they'll announce the next best architecture for processors. Yes, but I wouldnt be interested in the first gen Sandy Bridge only the second. So unless thats Q2 as stated below, I have heard Q3 or Q4 of 2011 also and as I said above that outside my upgrade window.
And then you'd get into this cycle of waiting it out until the next gen. of processors.Thanks for the philosophical answer.

In short......life's too short. Get whats available and reasonably priced to its performance ratio.Thats why I am asking your theories on pricing.
And like others have mentioned, look out for those amazing deals.Thank You.

Dont take these replys as a stab at you, as I said I appreciate you answers.

My 2 cents :D 
KingArcher

Shadow703793 said:
^ Not really. Prices for the new CPUs drop a few months after release.

Just curious do your remember what the i7 920/930 release prices were?
fazers_on_stun said:
OP: If you look at the Anandtech reviews on Sandy Bridge (one of which had some preliminary pricing I think), you'll see that the engineering sample 2400 model (no working turbo, etc) managed to keep up with the i7-980X in some games. IIRC the 2400K model (unlocked multiplier) goes around the $250 range.
I would love to see this artical(I know I have read a few from Anandtech about Sandy Bridge but dont recal that information) I'll look for it maybe you can link it for me if possible.
The mainstream SB's will be out early next year, and the performance SB's out in Q2 according to the roadmap. I am interested in the high end but not the low end Sandy Bridge, but if I wait till Q2 it would have to be a sure thing.

You didn't state what your main uses are - gaming, video composition/editing, etc. - so it's difficult to know what kind of CPU you are actually looking for. Mostly FPS Gaming, Multi-Player, and of course Web Surfing. My current setup while I wouldnt mind keeping it longer, but it just cannot keep up with me anymore. I can see it coming, please dont suggest an i5 750/760 I have reserched this till my eye's bled and unless I really need to save some dough I am not going that route.

**Name is in no way, shape, or form, related to Halo**
Score
October 13, 2010 6:07:59 PM

Sorry MasterChief a.k.a thechief73, I think I got carried away into my philosophical world there. :p 

Here's article/review on Sandy Bridge from AnandTech

Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 6:45:54 PM

OP: Yeah, the AT article that KingArcher linked to is the one I meant. It includes some price guesses on page 3, but nothing on the performance or extreme socket 2011 versions which should be out in the March - June timeframe from what I've read. Anyway, before writing SB off as too expensive, I'd wait a couple months until the actual shipping products are reviewed, as SB features a more aggressive turbo that will help with single-threaded apps (and which was completely disabled in the ES sample that Anandtech benched). Also pricing will be set then as well.

Personally I can wait until next summer, and by then hopefully Bulldozer and s2011 SB will be out and reviewed so that I can make a decision on what to go with.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 9:56:30 PM

Quote:

Just curious do your remember what the i7 920/930 release prices were?

IIRC, about $300ish on Newegg.

Quote:

Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 RAM Module - 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) - DDR3 CAS7. I can get for $130 which is close to the lowest for similar moduals, I know some are down around $100-110 but I took a liking to these for the slightly better performance.

If that is the case, you can always buy it now. If there is a problem, you can always deal with Corsair directly. Pretty much all RAM have life time warranty.

Quote:
Yes, but I wouldnt be interested in the first gen Sandy Bridge only the second. So unless thats Q2 as stated below, I have heard Q3 or Q4 of 2011 also and as I said above that outside my upgrade window.

Q2/Q3 is for LGA2011 CPUs. The Sandy Bridge CPUs should be available in Q1.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 12:53:59 AM

Shadow703793 said:
If that is the case, you can always buy it now. If there is a problem, you can always deal with Corsair directly. Pretty much all RAM have life time warranty.
Yeah I thought of this, they do have a Lifetime warranty, and 45 day return period from seller Buy.com. I just wish I could buy everything at once and not have to worry about defective parts or return costs. I'm kind of juggling with prices and availability right now, some parts on my wish list are unavilble from the sellers I need to get them from as I have gift cards and credit card points to use up :) 

Shadow703793 said:
Q2/Q3 is for LGA2011 CPUs. The Sandy Bridge CPUs should be available in Q1.
Intel has confirmed that Sandy Bridge will drop the first few weeks of January. I just wish they would release their prices, Sandy Bridge-EX and 2011 information ALOT sooner it would completly eliminate this problem all together.

For anyone who cares, heres a little information as to where I'm at with my PC parts:

I have already got a CPU cooler, Prolimatech Megahalems $56 shipped(I doubt I'll find better price on this anytime soon, also $59 shiped at Paltinum Micro), I can hold on to this awhile, I dont mind, it fits 1156 im assuming it will do a 1155 probaly pushing my luck with 2011.

Sadly, I just ordered the RAM from Buy.com in fear of dwindling stock and now I feel like I have been a complete sucker to my own fears :cry:  Newegg was out of stock last few days I checked on it and $10 more than Buy.com, but now they are the same price as Buy.com and in stock. With Newegg being out of stock at the time and Buy.com saying "Very few left In Stock! Order soon -- product may sell out" I placed an order. This low stock warning is on almost every part I looked at on their site, dont belive me go look up some parts, Im starting to think its a scam. I had also called them twice niether time would they give me a number of items they had on hand but both times eagerly asked me to place my order now to ensure availiblity.

I was about to get a Mobo from Amazon.com sold by Buy.com, they also had the best in-stock price anywhere, but the price differed from thier own site by $22(Odd). When going to place the order it was removed from the site :( 

After this I am about to just give up and wait on Sandy Bridge anyhow. :fou:  But I think for now my plans will be to keep the RAM, pray I dont have to RMA it or sell it if I go with Sandy Bridge(I belive it uses 2ch not 3ch memory) and just wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday and look for the best deals I can get on the parts I want and/or hope that Intel lets some real benchmarks and prices out for Sandy Bridge during that time.

Sorry about the lengthy post but you guys are the only techies I have to talk to. :lol: 

Please feel free to keep speculating on the question of now or later.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 2:38:42 AM

You have never said what rig you have now and what are your main uses, so I really can't give you an intelligent opinion.
Score
October 14, 2010 2:43:07 AM

KingArcher said:
Sorry MasterChief a.k.a thechief73, I think I got carried away into my philosophical world there. :p 

Here's article/review on Sandy Bridge from AnandTech

The AnandTech article shows that Sandy Bridge got models with and without Hyperthreading. Too bad there isn't comparison with i7-950. I want to see it without directly compared to I7-980X.

The article also said that the price will be the same as i5-760, but with performance above i5-880. (I really wanna see it compared to i7-950/960. :(  ) Wellh,... correction to Sandy Bridge's price?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 2:28:14 PM

BadTrip said:
You have never said what rig you have now and what are your main uses, so I really can't give you an intelligent opinion.
Well, thanks for taking up some space had too much of it laying around anyhow. But FYI five posts up I gave the main uses of my PC, I guess you didnt get to that part yet. And my current rig really isnt important because for one I said it cannot keep up with me anymore, and two it has nothing to do with the question I asked, you may have missied that part also.
thechief73 said:
I want your opions if I should go ahead and build a i7 rig now or wait till afer Sandy Bridge is released? This is from a price standpoint only.
Cheers Mate.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 3:20:01 PM

Quote:

I have already got a CPU cooler, Prolimatech Megahalems $56 shipped(I doubt I'll find better price on this anytime soon, also $59 shiped at Paltinum Micro), I can hold on to this awhile, I dont mind, it fits 1156 im assuming it will do a 1155 probaly pushing my luck with 2011.

You can get the Mega with out fans for $23 at Microcenter, providing you live near one: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... ) I bought 4x of them for future builds. Do note it doesn't come with LGA 1156 brackets AND fans.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 7:45:02 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
You can get the Mega with out fans for $23 at Microcenter, providing you live near one: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... ) I bought 4x of them for future builds. Do note it doesn't come with LGA 1156 brackets AND fans.
Quote:

Oh thats a bummer :(  , but thanks for the heads up. Nearest Microcenter is ~160miles away and they are listed as out of stock right now for my area. The Megahalems does not come from the factory with fans far as I know.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2010 10:42:34 PM

Quote:
This quarter, we began volume production of Sandy Bridge and expect to ship revenue units in Q4 as we prepare for systems launch in the first quarter of 2011.

See, what did I tell you? Q1 2011. So I'm guessing you'll be waiting?

Quote:
The Megahalems does not come from the factory with fans far as I know.

Correct. But there were a few "kits" sold boy some etellers that paired it with fans like Yate Loon or Scythe Slipstreme/KAZE.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2010 12:05:14 AM

Shadow703793 said:
See, what did I tell you? Q1 2011. So I'm guessing you'll be waiting?

Oh, I knew that it was coming in first weeks of January already, it was announced somewhere in a recent artical I read, I was really more interested in the Sandy Bridge-EX or LGA 2011 line-up of chips if I was going to wait instead of building a i7 PC, but price still worries me and I wonder if I can hold out that long, but I guess Im going to take a wait and see approch and hope for the best. What really got me though was how great they are praising the performance new chip.

I guess if my cooler is not compatible I have to bite the bullet on that one(should be an easy sell), as for the tripple channel RAM, Im not sure if I want to pay return shipping, sell it or, sounds crazy, buy another set to use on a dual channel board.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2010 1:48:56 AM

^ You can still use the Triple Channel RAM on a Dual Chanel board. 2x DIMMS will run in Dual Channel and 1x will run in Single Channel. Or they all will run in Flex mode.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2010 4:06:24 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ You can still use the Triple Channel RAM on a Dual Chanel board. 2x DIMMS will run in Dual Channel and 1x will run in Single Channel. Or they all will run in Flex mode.
Oh, Thanks for that information. I once read about using them 2 in dual and 1 in single but I never heard about it before and really didnt fully understand it, still really dont know anything about it, guess its somthing I should read up on. Would there be a noticable performance hit with that setup or using flex mode? Would this affect RAM timings or speed?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2010 1:38:09 PM

thechief73 said:
Oh, Thanks for that information. I once read about using them 2 in dual and 1 in single but I never heard about it before and really didnt fully understand it, still really dont know anything about it, guess its somthing I should read up on. Would there be a noticable performance hit with that setup or using flex mode? Would this affect RAM timings or speed?

For desktop usage there isn't much difference between dual-channel and triple-channel memory - somewhere around 1-2% IIRC. The test was done by benching an i7 rig with triple channel and then pulling one bank and running the benches again.

I'm starting to think now that desktop Bulldozer is going to be late Q3 or even Q4 next year, according to what was said during AMD's conference call yesterday, about Llano shipping before either server or desktop BD. If the recent stories here about Llano being delayed again until Q3 are true, that is..
Score
October 16, 2010 4:23:13 AM

thechief73, could you post the source of info regarding the release date? I am wondering if i should wait as well.

From my research SB will be released March 2011, not sure which day or the reliability of the source. Here's where I found the info
http://www.cpu-world.com/Releases/Desktop_CPU_releases_...
Score
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2010 1:28:24 PM

fzr2400 said:
thechief73, could you post the source of info regarding the release date? I am wondering if i should wait as well.

From my research SB will be released March 2011, not sure which day or the reliability of the source. Here's where I found the info

From Intel's Q3 earnings conference 4 days ago, the CEO Paul Otellini stated that SB mainstream is shipping in Q4 with a release date targeted early next year. I read that to mean January if not sooner (Christmas sales a possibility).

Also found out some "info" from The Inquirer on s2011 performance Sandy Bridge:

Quote:
While the mainstream LGA1156 Sandy Bridge is fairly clear by now, down to the model numbers and expected performance, its top notch brethren in the brand new Socket LGA2011, aptly named to match the release year, have far more impressive specifications.

Eight full cores - no sharing of FPUs and such, but eight true full cores - 20MB of shared L3 cache, and quad channel DDR3 memory on a single 32nm process die, and with clock rates similar to the quad-core Sandy Bridge parts at launch, bring out a possible performance monster. If you estimate an average 15 per cent clock for clock performance boost per core - and that is without using AVX instruction extensions - plus two more cores and at least 5 per cent higher clock speed compared to the current 3.33GHz top end LGA1366 processors like the Core i7 980X and Xeon X5680, you'll easily get over half extra peak performance right at the launch.

Even if we include the year-end expected Core i7 990X and Xeon X5690 3.46GHz part speed bin step-up for the current Westmere generation, the new chips will still have at least the same clock speeds to start out with. And, looking at the 3.4GHz starting speed bin for the initial Core i7 2600 quad-core Sandy Bridge part, I am inclined to expect at least 3.6GHz launch speed for the octo-core high end parts two quarters later.

As an example, a 3.6GHz highest end Sandy Bridge based dual Xeon workstation would, with its 16 total cores and AVX set, be able to churn out an astonishing 460GFLOPs in double precision floating-point, compared to roughly 160GFLOPs on a dual Westmere X5680 3.33GHz Xeon without AVX extensions. If the 3.8GHz Turbo mode kicks in across all cores, we'll be quite close to a peak half teraflops on a desktop. Not bad at all, and it should provide something for the computational GPU crowd to think about.

According to Intel's roadmaps the "performance" SBs are due out in Q2 next year. I just hope Intel doesn't want $1K for the octo-core, but I'd settle for a 6-core at half the price :p ..
Score
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2010 7:54:12 PM

fzr2400 said:

I am looking for it, as soon as I find it i'll post it up. Basically stated that it will be formally announced at CES and availible the week after.

1. http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/12/sandy-bridge-sal...

2. http://vr-zone.com/articles/sandy-bridge-hits-retail-on...

3. CES 2011 - Intel Press Conference

As for the Socket 2011, I have read anywhere from Q2 to Q4, so thats kinda up for speculation still.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 2:08:31 PM

Best answer selected by thechief73.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 2:15:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!