ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W
G.SKILL Flare 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
WD Caviar Black 1tb
WD Caviar Green 1tb
Antec 1200 Case

The Case, power supply, and Hard drives are from old system. Would it be worth getting a SSD for this machine? Also, would anything be bottle-necking the performance from this machine? And finally, could someone recommend some really good aftermarket cooling system that would go well with mobo/processor/vga?

Thanks for your time!

More about : opinions amd ati gaming system

August 6, 2010 7:13:26 AM

^ Which graphics card will you be using ??
Overall the system looks good...But if it is a general gaming PC, then I dont see the need for the FX chipset, even GX would do...
But if you have very high overclocking in mind, then the FX is fine...

And as for the HDD, the Samsung F3 1TB offers similar performance for less...

Also if you will be using that memory, then am sure it would block most of the CPU heatsinks...But the Corsair H50 could be a good option then...

Though for that price, you get big air coolers, that would perform better, but if you dont want the cooler to be blocked, then this is a very good option...
August 6, 2010 7:25:37 AM

I wanted to go with the ASUS hd 5970, however having a hard time finding it in stock. Was thinking about going with XFX black edition, or the Diamond 5970, any thoughts on those?

I already have the HDD's, but would a SSD be a performance boost at all for gaming?

Yeah, thought it might be a tight squeeze to get some aftermarket cooling in there. Will have to check out the H50 that you mentioned. Just like to have something a little better than stock.

Thanks for your time.

August 6, 2010 7:39:23 AM

^ Well going with a FX board and HD 5970 ? Rather get 2x HD 5870s so that both the chipsets take full advantage of the full x16x16 bandwidth...

As for the SSD, it does have a significant performance boost in apps load time, game load time and boot time but dont expect any increase in in-game performance ...
There is still some price premium attached to them though...
SSD options - OCZ Vertex 2/ Agility 2
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 9:26:55 AM

Well I might as well say it. Although it's been said before (just not here). Getting a X6 for a gaming system is just a waste. I have a GA-890GPA-UD3H mated to a 1055T and a 5850 Black Edition and I have to tell you the truth, my i5 750 is the better processor for gaming. I think if you were to look at the reviews you'll see it's a common opinion (I would call it more of a fact, really.) I had my 1055T OC'd to 4 Ghz stable, so if your planning on going that route, save the $100 and get that version. Or better yet find the X6's that are running 95W instead of the first gen's 125W. I've heard people are hitting 4.2GHz and up pretty easily on those.

As for your GPU choices, those are good. The 5850 screams with my i5. Although the down side to the Intel mentality... PCIe lanes. I know my i5's (as all 1156 at the moment AFAIK) are limited to 16 PCIe lanes. Couple that with a motherboard that uses 4 of those PCIe lanes for USB 3 and Sata 3 and crossfire is no longer an option.

If you want to stick with AMD, just pick up a 965. Most games won't use all 6 cores, hell most don't even use 4. They OC well and you'll save some bucks. And you can drop one in later when the time comes (assuming they are still using AM3 by then.) Just my 2 cents as someone who uses both platforms.

August 6, 2010 4:22:25 PM

Quote:
Well I might as well say it. Although it's been said before (just not here). Getting a X6 for a gaming system is just a waste. I have a GA-890GPA-UD3H mated to a 1055T and a 5850 Black Edition and I have to tell you the truth, my i5 750 is the better processor for gaming. I think if you were to look at the reviews you'll see it's a common opinion (I would call it more of a fact, really.) I had my 1055T OC'd to 4 Ghz stable, so if your planning on going that route, save the $100 and get that version. Or better yet find the X6's that are running 95W instead of the first gen's 125W. I've heard people are hitting 4.2GHz and up pretty easily on those.

As for your GPU choices, those are good. The 5850 screams with my i5. Although the down side to the Intel mentality... PCIe lanes. I know my i5's (as all 1156 at the moment AFAIK) are limited to 16 PCIe lanes. Couple that with a motherboard that uses 4 of those PCIe lanes for USB 3 and Sata 3 and crossfire is no longer an option.

If you want to stick with AMD, just pick up a 965. Most games won't use all 6 cores, hell most don't even use 4. They OC well and you'll save some bucks. And you can drop one in later when the time comes (assuming they are still using AM3 by then.) Just my 2 cents as someone who uses both platforms.

Thanks for all your insight! I was actually thinking about getting the 965, that seems quite sufficient for gaming. As you stated six cores is not so important for gaming. Do you feel that 2x 5870's would be a much better option than a 5970, as the other poster stated? Also, the ram i picked out was recommended for the x6 processor, do you feel it would do just as well with the 965?

Thanks again for your time!
Anonymous
August 7, 2010 6:35:31 AM

Honestly I would rather run 2 5850's and over clock them a little (A well OC'd 5850 can run near 5870 speeds) or go with a couple of Nvidia GTX 460's (assuming your get a board that supports SLI) for a good "bang for the buck" machine. I may be wrong on this but I thought the 5970 was just a PCB with two 5870's on it so I don't see why you would want to crossfire 2 of them together when the cost would be about the same for a single 5970 a that would at least leave one free PCIE lane.

As far as RAM, G.Skill makes high quality stuff. 2000 Mhz might be overkill though. Lemme break is down to what I would use, k?

*AMD 965 BE CPU
*CM 212 Hyper Plus Heat Sink
*Gigabyte 890FX motherboard (Just in general I really like Gigabyte as a brand and the 890FX will give you 2 PCIE x16 lanes. If your going high end graphics cards, it makes a difference.)
*TWO XFX 5850 Video Cards
*G.Skill RAM you chose will be fine. I personally like Patriot Systems as a brand, but only because they are local to me. If I have issues I go for a half hour car ride and get an RMA on the spot. This has only happened once in 5 years I have been using their stuff.
*Corsair 850W PSU (I think that covers your PSU requirements. When it doubt, go for the 1000W version though!)
*A good case (I personally like Cooler Master HAF 932 or 922 models.)
*Throw in any reliable hard drive. Some folks like the Western Digital Caviar Black, some like the Samsung Spinright F series. I don't run RAID so I can't tell you what is better.
*A good SSD Drive as your boot drive/ OS drive (I think you could get away with 64GB and be OK)
*Windows 7 PRO 64 Bit

You use that formula and you'll be OK. At least in my book.
August 7, 2010 7:32:00 AM

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with your suggestions. I actually believe the 5970 is 2x 5850, not 5870's. With that said, would you recommend the 2x 5870's over the 5970? the 2x 5870's would cost between 800-1000 dollars and the 5970 about 700. The power requirements for the 5970 would be quite a bit less than 2x 5870's. I already have the 750w corsair PSU from last system, but would upgrade if necessary.

Also, does win 7 pro do much more than home edition? I was just planning to get the cheapest for price, but is it worth it to go with the pro? I have been debating on a SSD drive for awhile now, will probably end up going with one as well.
Anonymous
August 8, 2010 3:55:57 AM

konakova said:
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with your suggestions. I actually believe the 5970 is 2x 5850, not 5870's. With that said, would you recommend the 2x 5870's over the 5970? the 2x 5870's would cost between 800-1000 dollars and the 5970 about 700. The power requirements for the 5970 would be quite a bit less than 2x 5870's. I already have the 750w corsair PSU from last system, but would upgrade if necessary.

Also, does win 7 pro do much more than home edition? I was just planning to get the cheapest for price, but is it worth it to go with the pro? I have been debating on a SSD drive for awhile now, will probably end up going with one as well.

Just crossfire 2 5850's and you'll be fine. As for Windows 7 performance, I like Pro but I am in the IT field and need the additional features for security and all that. For a game system at home, Home Premium should suite you fine.
!