Closed

My CPU Caught Fire

so, i bought an aftermarket cooler for my i5-760. I didn't see a huge difference, even though i reset the bastard 3-4 times. My temps right now, while idle (youtube and this open) are 42C. when gaming it goes up into the mid 60's. i mean, i would expect to see temps while gaming be below 60C, especially since im at stock settings. So what gives, any insight.

i5-760 (stock)
Zalman 9500a
gtx480
Arctic Silver 5
4 gigs GSKILL ram
Maximus Gene iii mobo
16 answers Last reply
More about caught fire
  1. it was also 95 degrees today where i live, so yea.
  2. Mid 60's is fine for that CPU under load.
  3. rolli59 said:
    Mid 60's is fine for that CPU under load.


    its is not under 100% load, im not using prime 95 or intel burn test, just playing some games.
  4. anyone?
  5. Is the heatsink pretty close to those temps? You should be able to roughly tell if the cooler is seated right based on its temps alone.
  6. Case ?

    ventilation is important

    and the 9500a is not an awesome cooler
  7. iamnewhere said:
    it was also 95 degrees today where i live, so yea.

    95??? Dude, water's boiling point is 100 degrees Celcius. Human's skin will be discolored at 35, and blistered due to heat at around 60. At 95° Celcius you're in Hell on Earth. Well, hyperbolically speaking.

    Anyway, as a comparison, my passively cooled Atom medium load temperature is around 58-60. I also recall someone in this forum saying something about a CPU can withstand up to 100° C until it's automatically shut down. I don't see any problem then :D

    I was shocked to see the title. I thought it literally happened. :lol:
  8. damasvara said:
    95??? Dude, water's boiling point is 100 degrees Celcius. Human's skin will be discolored at 35, and blistered due to heat at around 60. At 95° Celcius you're in Hell on Earth. Well, hyperbolically speaking.

    Anyway, as a comparison, my passively cooled Atom medium load temperature is around 58-60. I also recall someone in this forum saying something about a CPU can withstand up to 100° C until it's automatically shut down. I don't see any problem then :D

    I was shocked to see the title. I thought it literally happened. :lol:


    He means 95F, I'm guessing.. 35C, so it's still hot.
  9. Herr_Koos said:
    He means 95F, I'm guessing.. 35C, so it's still hot.

    So, he's using Fahrenheit for the room ambient temperature measurement. Figures.

    35° is similar to Indonesia's drought season temperature. All the more reason to why you have the CPU temperature at mid 60s. :D

    Even my undervolted Athlon is measured around 50 at noon.
  10. Also the Zalman 9500 isn't all that good for cooling modern chips, but as said above your ambient temperature is so high you're not gonna get fantastic results.

    Nothing to worry about though until your CPU hits 75-80 degrees though.
  11. Quote:
    Lol he meant 95F.No place on this planet has temp reaching 95c.
    That comment was not that smart dude.

    Well, I was actually being a little sarcastic, since I thought it was a typo, misreading or simply can't read the Hydrargyrum at the thermometer. Never occur to me that the OP meant 95 degrees "Fahrenheit". I guess I should work on my jokes and basic knowledge then :p

    Quote:
    ^75 to 80c is fine for a cpu.They can take temp upto 100c.

    Now I remember, you're the one who said that the CPU can take up to 100°C without being damaged. I also remember someone broke that opinion, I forgot what he said though, but it's pretty harsh.

    BTW, that Google Chrome T-shirt I told you about the other day, It just got here. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it this very moment. Fast delivery from the (currently) fastest web browser on earth! (I gotta save that thought for the software forum, since this is not the place) :kaola:
  12. Quote:
    ^75 to 80c is fine for a cpu.They can take temp upto 100c.


    Core i can yes, but the general consensus around these parts and similar is that past 80 degrees you're into "hmmm, there's something not quite right here" territory.

    If done properly there's no need to run a CPU hotter than 75-80 degrees. It's just a bit of safety margin advice.
  13. @LePhuronn: There's always liquid nitrogen to save the day :lol: :lol: :lol:

    EDIT: @dipankar: If I modify it now, the avatar will be available around tomorrow. Well, okay... I got 2 of them: blue and white, I think I'll wear the white one :lol:
  14. damasvara said:
    @LePhuronn: There's always liquid nitrogen to save the day :lol: :lol: :lol:


    God, that's SO yesterday - if you're gonna cool then cool PROPERLY with liquid Helium!
  15. LePhuronn said:
    God, that's SO yesterday - if you're gonna cool then cool PROPERLY with liquid Helium!

    They use Heliums now? Man, I really need some serious catchin' up to do... I can swear those guys at the overclockers club use liquid nitrogen, maybe I should tell them to upgrade the cooling method... :lol:
  16. iamnewhere said:
    anyone?

    Why bump your thread and then not bother responding to anyone? :pfff:
    Quote:
    Don't...

    * Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
    * Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
    * Bump posts, claim "first!"
    * Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
    * Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection


    Source.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5