Sign in with
Your question

CORSAIR CX430 CHEAPED OUT!!!

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 12:57:01 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-sleeve bearing?
-less 12v amperage?
-low warranty?
-electrical squealing noises?
-failing fan bearings?

I MEAN CORSAIR WHAT THE F*** WERE YOU THINKING?
its like the antec basiq 350w its not worhy of the name!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : corsair cx430 cheaped

a c 165 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 1:02:11 AM

it's also cheaper and no one will miss 2a on the 12v.
m
l
a c 713 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 1:32:30 AM

Just the cheap market segment they are after. It is just about making profits for the shareholders!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 1:33:12 AM

so? people who buy corsair wont mind a small price increase:) 

corsair needs to send one to jonnyguru.com!
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 1:38:22 AM

it's not a price increase for the 430w, its cheaper then the 400w was. the 600w is over priced and they knocked $15 off the original price in just a few days. the 500w has an ok price.

if you look at how they are setting up their line

CX line - solid & budget friendly
GS line - gamer line sold in brick and mortar stores
AX line - top of the line

I'm guessing the HX and TX will be phased out like the vx line.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 3:42:22 AM

^ Yup. Exactly. Corsair is aiming for a different market. But seriously, the 430CX is probably 10x better than those DiabloTek PSUs that are available for the same price. For a every day run of the mill PC (ie Office PC), this is more than enough.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 3:42:43 AM

damn it. Double post.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 3:58:08 AM

Its fine for a home/office computer, and that is what it is aimed at. What is your problem?
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 4:06:11 AM

a 250-350w is more in line for home office PC.

a PSU with 28a on the 12v can easily power a GTX 460. it's even over the Nvidia recommendation of 25a. people need to realize the difference between a peak power PSU and a continuous one.

check out anandtech review of an antec 380w PSU
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3902/antec-earthwatts-ea-...

"Unlike so many other power supplies, it's nice to see a sensibly rated unit for a change. 380W is still plenty even for a midrange system, and with optimal efficiency generally coming at 50% load this is a power supply that should run closer to its "sweet spot" when idle as well as under load. There's still enough power on top to run a Core i7 or Phenom X6 processor and a discrete GPU, but you'll want to stick with graphics cards that only require a single PCIe power connection to err on the side of caution."
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 4:24:22 AM

i think the corsair is a great power supply i was just disappointed it is worse than the cx400 everybody loved so much :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 4:27:42 AM

shovenose said:
i think the corsair is a great power supply i was just disappointed it is worse than the cx400 everybody loved so much :) 

Well I am disappointed that you have not upgraded your irl pc to 4gigs of ram.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 4:29:19 AM

lol
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 4:56:14 AM

ct, you are missing the point. The 400CX was a good, solid unit. The "new, improved" 430CX, by all reports, isn't.

It's not just the 2 piddly 12 volt amps change in the specs. (I will concede that if you are operating a PSU where 2 amps might make a difference, you need a larger PSU.)

The shorter warranty period, although not critical, is another sign. Once you are past the initial infant mortality rate of the reliability curve, the odds are that the length of the warranty period won't matter much.

I suspect that the 430 is the same basic PSU as the 400 - with a few cost cutting measures in place: cheaper fan, less conservatively rated components in the 12 volt section, then increased ratings on the 3.3 and 5 volt sections that won't make any difference in a modern computer.

Double checked the specs. :) 

I also would like to see a teardown and comparison to the 400CX.

More and more, I am glad that I ordered a couple of 400 CX's when I first saw the report here. newegg was out of stock, but amazon had a few.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 5:11:37 AM

jsc said:
ct, you are missing the point. The 400CX was a good, solid unit. The "new, improved" 430CX, by all reports, isn't.

it's new but no one has called it improved and its new for a reason. i think seasonic deal was not re-signed. either because of financial reasons or seasonic wanted to focus on building their brand and not competing against themselves, who knows. anyone who works in business knows contracts come and go for various reasons. seasonic, corsair, Channel Well Tech, etc., are all in the PSU business to make money and all have different objectives.

end of the day, if you don't like something, vote with your wallet.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 8:08:02 AM

Id rather see an actual review, with teardown, load and ripple tests etc. not base it on "it may have a cheaper fan", or "may have lower spec components" speculation and reviews from people on newegg that dont know jack and are probably trying to run sli gtx470's on it and wondering why its not working.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 9:51:48 AM

ct1615 said:
it's new but no one has called it improved and its new for a reason.

Old PSU is rated at 400 watts. Its replacement is rated at 430 watts. Sounds like an "improvement" to me. :)  Granted, it is at the expense of a little bit of usable power, but most people are not going to know that.

ct1615 said:
i think seasonic deal was not re-signed. either because of financial reasons or seasonic wanted to focus on building their brand and not competing against themselves, who knows.

Quite likely. Or the price of components went up and to hit the price point, Corsair had to change the specs.

And to be fair, the 430CX is, most likely, a pretty good PSU that will be just as reliable as the 400 (except for the fan perhaps :) ).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 11:45:56 AM

I'm not sure what to make of these new PSUs yet either tbh. I don't have any doubts that the 430CX will be a solid and reliable PSU, it's just the sudden changes to Corsair's specs (2 year warranty, No 80+, rated at 30C etc.) force people to ask questions. A technical review would be about the only way to properly assess their quality. I just don't understand, if Corsair are are so certain of their build quality and reliability etc. why they haven't submitted a sample for review yet.

It's biggest competitor would arguably be the Antec Earthwatts range (lower wattage models at least). The CX series are a little cheaper than the Earthwatts here in the UK at least so you can kind of see where Corsair were aiming with this line of PSUs.
m
l
a c 713 ) Power supply
October 13, 2010 3:05:20 PM

Looks more like a competition to the Antec Basic although Antec offers 3 years warranty on those.
m
l
October 13, 2010 3:54:02 PM

Shadow703793 said:
the 430CX is probably 10x better than those DiabloTek PSUs that are available for the same price. For a every day run of the mill PC (ie Office PC), this is more than enough.

+2^ :) 
m
l
!