Laptop car adapter question

I am planning on purchasing a car adapter for my laptop. I read a few
posts on this newsgroup about keeping the laptop's car adapter
unplugged from the car's cigarette lighter outlet before starting the
car, then plugging it in once the car has started.

I was wondering if I should also shutdown the laptop and unplug it from
the cigarette lighter outlet *before* turning the car *off*? Are there
any risks if I don't unplug it before turning the car off?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop adapter question

    On 26 Nov 2004 16:32:26 -0800, "Sm704" <sm7040@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I am planning on purchasing a car adapter for my laptop. I read a few
    >posts on this newsgroup about keeping the laptop's car adapter
    >unplugged from the car's cigarette lighter outlet before starting the
    >car, then plugging it in once the car has started.
    >
    >I was wondering if I should also shutdown the laptop and unplug it from
    >the cigarette lighter outlet *before* turning the car *off*? Are there
    >any risks if I don't unplug it before turning the car off?
    >
    >Thanks

    Another thing you might want to consider is to get one of those units
    that contain a 12 v gell-cell battery, and are rated for enough amps
    to use as a spare battery for restarting the car. The one I got also
    contains a light and a small air pump, so it's a handy item to have
    for safety. You can then use the 12 v "lighter" socket on this unit as
    the power source for your laptop, and never have to worry about
    transient voltage spikes brom you cars circuits damaging the laptop.
    You simply connect the gell-cell unit to a 110 v charger or to the
    automobile when the laptop is not connected, to recharge the unit.
    ---
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    >I am planning on purchasing a car adapter for my laptop. I read a few
    >posts on this newsgroup about keeping the laptop's car adapter
    >unplugged from the car's cigarette lighter outlet before starting the
    >car, then plugging it in once the car has started.
    >
    >I was wondering if I should also shutdown the laptop and unplug it from
    >the cigarette lighter outlet *before* turning the car *off*? Are there
    >any risks if I don't unplug it before turning the car off?
    >
    >Thanks

    The extra wear is on the power adapter not the notebook. From the
    voltage surge when starting or stopping the cars engine. The power
    adapter,(of which I have several from Rado Shack) all have regulated
    power out. No matter how much you rev the engine, start or stop it,
    the output stays the same. Anyone with a $5 voltmeter can test this. I
    know it's true since both my notebooks need the exact voltage or they
    won't recognize or even connect to outside power. Starting or stopping
    the engine never causes the charge indicator light to go out so the
    supply is not varried.

    I use a 12v to 120 volt inverter, be sure to get one that has enough
    watts. I keep it in the back under the seat, with a wire to the 12v
    cigarette plug, or it could be wired directly to 12v system. Then a
    short household extension cord from the inverter to the front seat
    where I need my laptop.

    Now you can use this for any 120v device, in any vehicle.

    samurai.

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:00:14 -0600, Charlie <invalid@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    >On 26 Nov 2004 16:32:26 -0800, "Sm704" <sm7040@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am planning on purchasing a car adapter for my laptop. I read a few
    >>posts on this newsgroup about keeping the laptop's car adapter
    >>unplugged from the car's cigarette lighter outlet before starting the
    >>car, then plugging it in once the car has started.
    >>
    >>I was wondering if I should also shutdown the laptop and unplug it from
    >>the cigarette lighter outlet *before* turning the car *off*? Are there
    >>any risks if I don't unplug it before turning the car off?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >
    >Another thing you might want to consider is to get one of those units
    >that contain a 12 v gell-cell battery, and are rated for enough amps
    >to use as a spare battery for restarting the car. The one I got also
    >contains a light and a small air pump, so it's a handy item to have
    >for safety. You can then use the 12 v "lighter" socket on this unit as
    >the power source for your laptop, and never have to worry about
    >transient voltage spikes brom you cars circuits damaging the laptop.
    >You simply connect the gell-cell unit to a 110 v charger or to the
    >automobile when the laptop is not connected, to recharge the unit.
    >---
    >Charlie Hoffpauir
    >http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    The risks here are primarly to the car adapter rather than the laptop.
    There are some pretty significant spikes on a car electrical system
    during both starting and shutdown, they are worse during starting thanks
    to the starter motor. The truth is that a modern adapter should handle
    all of these on both starting and shutdown, but the real world might not
    be so tolerant. However, the adapters are switching power supplies, and
    the isolation of the output that goes to the laptop from the input (car
    electrical bus) is nearly total. Also, there is a LOT of electronic
    equipment in the car that is ALWAYS connected to the electrical bus,
    including the car radio, several computers and possibly a navigation
    system, and they all handle all of this stuff without any problems.
    It's not like car adapters were not designed with this environment in
    mind, which is why they should handle it with no special precautions or
    "babying".

    AndrewJ wrote:

    >>I am planning on purchasing a car adapter for my laptop. I read a few
    >>posts on this newsgroup about keeping the laptop's car adapter
    >>unplugged from the car's cigarette lighter outlet before starting the
    >>car, then plugging it in once the car has started.
    >>
    >>I was wondering if I should also shutdown the laptop and unplug it from
    >>the cigarette lighter outlet *before* turning the car *off*? Are there
    >>any risks if I don't unplug it before turning the car off?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >

    > The extra wear is on the power adapter not the notebook. From the
    > voltage surge when starting or stopping the cars engine. The power
    > adapter,(of which I have several from Rado Shack) all have regulated
    > power out. No matter how much you rev the engine, start or stop it,
    > the output stays the same. Anyone with a $5 voltmeter can test this.

    The stuff you can see with a voltmeter is the least of your worries.

    http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Application_Notes/an9312.pdf
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.