Sign in with
Your question

Lost connection from laptop

Last response: in Networking
March 30, 2010 7:14:39 PM

Hello,

Tried searching the forum and tried a few ideas but could find no solution or exact answer to this problem.

Have a home office network with a desktop and two laptops. Desktop is connected to a Linksys wireless router by ethernet cable and to an HP printer by USB. The router is wired to a DSL modem, the laptops are connect wireless to the router/modem and desktop.

Recently one of the laptops, call it Laptop A, lost connection to the desktop and printer. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago and I have installed no new software or hardware since. I can still connect to the router and the internet but cannot connect to the printer or see the drive on the desktop. From the command prompt on the laptop I can ping the IP address of the desktop but cannot ping by name. I can also ping the IP address of the laptop from the desktop but also cannot ping by name.

Laptop B still can print and access the drive in the desktop so it seems that the wireless system and desktop are working. Again, I have not installed any new hardware or software on Laptop A but do periodically update existing software like AVG, windows updates, etc.

I updated AVG antivirus and scanned with no threats found. I have seen two other odd things with Laptop A. A week ago I notice MSPaint was no longer on the computer. Did a search with Windows Explorer and it was nowhere to be seen. Have not found any other programs missing. Also, Firefox starts running slower after a while. If I exit and restart that seems to restore operation to normal.

I also disabled windows firewall and AVG network security features with no help,

These symptoms are making me suspect a virus but if it is, it is not found by AVG.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Skip

More about : lost connection laptop

March 30, 2010 7:25:01 PM

Sorry, forgot one minor bit of information. All computers using Windows XP. Laptop A is XP Pro, the rest XP Home.

Skip

skipmac said:
Hello,

Tried searching the forum and tried a few ideas but could find no solution or exact answer to this problem.

Have a home office network with a desktop and two laptops. Desktop is connected to a Linksys wireless router by ethernet cable and to an HP printer by USB. The router is wired to a DSL modem, the laptops are connect wireless to the router/modem and desktop.

Recently one of the laptops, call it Laptop A, lost connection to the desktop and printer. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago and I have installed no new software or hardware since. I can still connect to the router and the internet but cannot connect to the printer or see the drive on the desktop. From the command prompt on the laptop I can ping the IP address of the desktop but cannot ping by name. I can also ping the IP address of the laptop from the desktop but also cannot ping by name.

Laptop B still can print and access the drive in the desktop so it seems that the wireless system and desktop are working. Again, I have not installed any new hardware or software on Laptop A but do periodically update existing software like AVG, windows updates, etc.

I updated AVG antivirus and scanned with no threats found. I have seen two other odd things with Laptop A. A week ago I notice MSPaint was no longer on the computer. Did a search with Windows Explorer and it was nowhere to be seen. Have not found any other programs missing. Also, Firefox starts running slower after a while. If I exit and restart that seems to restore operation to normal.

I also disabled windows firewall and AVG network security features with no help,

These symptoms are making me suspect a virus but if it is, it is not found by AVG.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Skip

m
l
!