Sign in with
Your question

G skill DDR3 CL7 12800 1600mhz 2x2gb

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2011 9:21:44 AM

Hello, Just wondering, They run @ 1333 on a gigabyte H55M S2H.

Not the best board, but how can I get them to run at the speed shown on the info 1600mhz ?

My motherboard maybe is not allowing for those speeds.
I know its double data rate currently on 667mhz.
My board says it has Support for DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules.

Is this the motherboads way of keeping things safe or is it set like that as a standard.

Paid £112 for these things over a year ago, cant believe there like £50 now, and want to get the most out of them. if thats even possible :) 
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 9:31:53 AM

Go to your BIOS and your RAM specs manually. Just make sure you set them to the specs rated on the RAM's. That should make them work, i believe.
June 6, 2011 9:43:59 AM

just found that my BIOS version is 1.0 - F1, noticed that the lateset version 1.1 F7 with more RAm compatability. Gigabyte got the Dual BIOS safeguard business, was thinking about Q-Flashing the thing, but hell, im too scared hahaha

Never really go into BIOS, but will take a look.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 9:47:39 AM

Also do check your motherboard's QVL. You can find it on the products website.

There is always a first time! :) 
a c 154 V Motherboard
June 6, 2011 3:26:46 PM

To summarize:
1) Your motherboard supports up to 2200+ MHz but that's probably only attainable through an overclock. The default maximum is lower. Usually 1600MHz on newer boards.

2) Flash your BIOS. If your RAM isn't being currently detected by the BIOS version you have it may be lowering the speed of your RAM. If it's detected with the new BIOS then the BIOS can apply the proper timings and frequency automatically.

3) RAM is rarely the bottleneck. Usually you need a very high-end CPU which is heavily overclocked AND running at 100% to even have a potential RAM bottleneck.

So basically:
1) Flash your BIOS
2) run Memtest for several hours http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
3) double-check your RAM setting in Windows using CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/

CPU-Z example:
I have 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-24. CPU-Z->"memory" shows that I have 8192MB, Dual Channel, 800MHz and my timings (dual means 2x800 for 1600MHz).

**As long as your memory is stable (memtest) and the settings are correct (CPU-Z) you are fine. The only reason the settings would be different is if:
a) your BIOS doesn't yet recognize the RAM
b) you manually change the BIOS settings (not recommended), or
c) your Memory Controller is slower than your RAM (see motherboard manual)
!