ASRock P67 Extreme 4...Please Help.

ReliJon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
hello there everyone. I am having a bit of confusion regarding the ATX12V on my mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

In a previous thread i asked the community if an ATX12V2.2 PSU would work on my motherboard, they replied yes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

however my mobo guide asks me to plug in a ATX12V1 into the slot (which is an 8 pin slot)

So is my motherboard guide wrong when asking me to do this? I didn't think the 8 pin came around till ATX12V2...

I am a noob at building computers, so please correct me if i am wrong.

I just dont want to fry my new mobo. :eek:

Thanks a lot you guys for your time :D

Jon

Solution
I have the Extreme6 and you need to do as the other members advise: plug in the ATX12V1 into the slot (which is an 8 pin slot). Make sure that your orientation is correct. The pins on that connector are supposed to be idiot proof (they are shaped so that the connector will only plug in one way). Don't over-force the plug, it may take some pressure, but not a herculean effort (you would be forcing the plug in the wrong way).

When the plug seats there should be a press-lock catch like the 20/24 pin mobo power plug).

Oh, and before you touch anything in your computer case:

(1) Turn the computer off.

(2) UNPLUG IT FROM THE OUTLET.

(3) Wait at least 10 seconds, preferrably at least 30 Secs.

(4) Ground yourself with a ground strap...

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah -- agreed with hellstorm and leaps. You're all set with that psu and motherboard -- the 8-pin 12vEPS from the power supply will work perfectly with the 8-pin 12vEPS header on the motherboard.

Good luck -- I've been hearing great things about those P67 Extreme 4 boards. I think you'll really like it.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I have the Extreme6 and you need to do as the other members advise: plug in the ATX12V1 into the slot (which is an 8 pin slot). Make sure that your orientation is correct. The pins on that connector are supposed to be idiot proof (they are shaped so that the connector will only plug in one way). Don't over-force the plug, it may take some pressure, but not a herculean effort (you would be forcing the plug in the wrong way).

When the plug seats there should be a press-lock catch like the 20/24 pin mobo power plug).

Oh, and before you touch anything in your computer case:

(1) Turn the computer off.

(2) UNPLUG IT FROM THE OUTLET.

(3) Wait at least 10 seconds, preferrably at least 30 Secs.

(4) Ground yourself with a ground strap, or touch the metal on the case to ground yourself.

(5) Only then touch a card or the mobo.

This might save you a lot of grief and some $$$ by not shorting out your equipment with stactic electricity.

Solution

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
To tag on to chesteracorgi's point, after you unplug your computer from the outlet, hold the case power button for about three seconds. This will help ensure that you drain all the latent energy in the capacitors on the board and those in the PSU.