Building a simple XP machine on a limited budget.

G

So, following the established guidelines I will list what I need to get, and what I have idea's for.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Weekend

BUDGET RANGE: $450 including Tax

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Netflix, Web Surfing (youtube, metacafe, facebook), Watching DVD's, light gaming (World of Warcraft).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, OS, Speakers/Headphones, Video card (plan to use integrated or perhaps a "budget" nvidia or ati offering. GT 240 or whatever ATI has cooked up thats similar and beats the integrated video.)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Frys.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU (but I think the budget prohibits it), AMD at least Dual core (thinking the Athlon X3 440 and a Gigabyte Mobo) I prefer Patriot Memory, and XFX/EVGA video cards.

OVERCLOCKING: No (No way, the X3 440 is pretty much all I would need, although I wouldn't say no to a Quad Core!)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not likely (But I do have twin 4770's if need be :D)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080P

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like to build this in a small mATX case. Prefer Antec cases and PSU's.

You can't depend on any IGP for WOW 1080P and even a GT240 is a tad too lite for me hehe Either way suggested config @ $396AR
Untitled-497.jpg

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Firstly, since you plan to use either IGP or an inexpensive discrete, you can do much worse than the Radeon HD 4650 @ only $46 (if you plan to use a card at all.

Secondly, you say you'll love a quad, that's why i'm giving you these links. An Athlon II X2 will serve your needs just fine.

Choice Athlon II X2 250 for $65or Athlon II X3 440 for $75

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 640 for 119 bucks @ newegg. Same CPU - 130 at frys

Are you in CA? Are there taxation issues ?

If not, then you should really go with the AMD Athlon II X4 620 & OC it to 3.0, if need be.

Could'nt even find this @ frys. Only 89 bucks. Much more cost effective this way.

Please post back as to whether you still wanna stick to frys. We can proceed further then.

Also @ microcenter - Athlon II X4 635 only @ $100.

Which site?

G

I am in California. Maybe some took it as Canada. If I order from newegg it's a double whammy. Tax AND shipping. So spending $10 more for a store pickup is OK. Should also mention I have 2 XFX 4770's I can put in this machine to get it some extra "oomph!". I haven't run them in a while, so I don't even know how well they would run newer games. I am sure for WoW it would be overkill.

And yeah, still gonna stick with Frys. :D Thanks!