Is 600w psu enough for AMD Phenom ii x4 / msi gtx 460 1gb?

Hi I am helping my cousin build a new gaming rig. I helped him pick out all the parts but I feel like I've overlooked something as important as the power supply. Im worried that 600w will not be enough to support all that he has.Do I need something with more power? Please Please Please be help me with your honest opinions. Thank You. Here is an outline of the products he got for his computer.

AMD Quad-Core, 4GBRAM, 640GB HD, GTX460, DVDBURNER, 5x120MM FANS(3FANS w. LED)


AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231307

And here is the power supply he bought for this machine - OCZ 600w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
19 answers Last reply
More about 600w phenom
  1. and he also uses an external 1tb hard drive if that matters..
  2. 600 Watts will be totally fine for that setup. There are better choices out there for power supplies, but he'll have no issues at all with that setup.
  3. That OCZ PSU is more than enough to power a single GTX460. I recommend you get this XFX PSU for about the same price (after MIR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207007&cm_re=XFX_650-_-17-207-007-_-Product
    The XFX is a better unit than the OCZ.
  4. Shadow703793 said:
    That OCZ PSU is more than enough to power a single GTX460. I recommend you get this XFX PSU for about the same price (after MIR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207007&cm_re=XFX_650-_-17-207-007-_-Product
    The XFX is a better unit than the OCZ.


    And cosair/seasonic is even better then that... but I don't know if he wants to spend that much on it. :lol:
  5. Randomacts said:
    And cosair/seasonic is even better then that... but I don't know if he wants to spend that much on it. :lol:



    I wouldn't want to buy a new psu unless I had to. If the 600w is good enough to support that system then I'm happy =]
  6. More than enough, you will have plenty of headroom. Im not sure about the reliability of OCZ units, but i believe they are pretty good.
  7. i have an OC phenom II x4 955 and a MSI cyclone GTX 460, all powered by my 600w PSU. it doesn't even break a sweat...it just sits there getting fat
  8. sunhashin said:
    I wouldn't want to buy a new psu unless I had to. If the 600w is good enough to support that system then I'm happy =]



    Oh you oready bought it?

    Next time come here first before you buy. :) Someone here will always be willing to help you...


    *I bet its for the points.. those greedy bastards*


    And yes the 600w will run the PC 100% unless its DOA or defective in anyway. ;)
  9. Well actually, a good 450W unit would've sufficed.. You just gave yourself a good amount of headroom.. So just sit back and relax..
  10. save some money and get a 500w instead....600w is more than enough for that setup
  11. Wow, Thank you all for your help! Yes my cousin already bought all the parts. I just started worrying when I read that the GTX460 needed a minimum 450w psu. And yes, next time I will definitely come here for help before making a new build. Thank you all once again for your help. <3
  12. Newegg has a PSU calculator that is very handy. It always leaves some room for upgrade. You can find it here:

    http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
  13. jimmyzline said:
    Newegg has a PSU calculator that is very handy. It always leaves some room for upgrade. You can find it here:

    http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html



    Either this is way too generous, or I just bought the wrong PSU by about 106W. :heink:
  14. Wow, talk about toally wrong..

    scaring people into spending more money on their PSU?

    you could probably quad SLI with a 850w PSU.
  15. ^ lol. The thing is these PSU Calcs are WAY over estimating the PSU because they are not taking in to account Continuous power ratings instead they take in to account the MAX power rating. For a low quality/mid quality, 850W would be about right as if they get close to the full load they die. For example, a cr@ppy 400W DiabloTek PSU CAN NOT provide close to 300W.
  16. True, i often forget how many people by cheap crappy PSUs. despite our best efforts to convince them otherwise.
  17. welshmousepk said:
    True, i often forget how many people by cheap crappy PSUs. despite our best efforts to convince them otherwise.



    People have a wattage in mind, find the lowest price and go for it. *sad* :pfff:
  18. This is a WAY better PSU calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp ALOT more options, even CPU OCing.

    EDIT: Done adding the original creator. :)
  19. ^ Now, why don't we just link directly to the creators of that calc: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies AMD Components Product