Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 Extreme Gaming Machine

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2010 10:43:26 AM

I'm sorry I made another thread about the i5 gaming build.
I just want to be sure if this gaming build gonna be all right.

This is the Gaming System I have in mind.

01:Aerocool (PGS) VX-E-PRO-LE Gaming Case
02:Aerocool V12-600W Gaming PSU
03:EVGA P55 FTW Motherboard
04:Intel Core i5 760 CPU
05:Corsair Dominator-GT 2000MHz 4GB C8
06:Samsung HD502HJ Hard Drive
07:Samsung SH-B123A Blu-Ray Combo Drive
08:EVGA GTX 460 1GB EE SC Edition
09:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
10:Xigmatek Achilles CPU Cooler
11:Zalman ZM-STG2 Super Thermal Grease

Overclock to 4+ or there about's.
21.5" LED Full HD 1920x1080 Resolution.
Overclocked video card.
Approximate time:Two weeks to order.

Any suggestion's welcome and tell me what you think?

Thank you in advance.

My apology. :D 

August 6, 2010 12:43:07 PM

Never herd of Areocool PSU's before and can't even find a review of them on the net.
They are 80+ certified but only from January of this year so relatively new on the scene.

I would stay away from them until you can get your hands on a review, it's not like there is a shortage of good PSU's out there.
I usually go with Enermax or Tagan for reliability.

Not too sure about the corsair ram either, used to use them for around 3-4 years but recently around 4-10 machine I've built with corsair Dominator DDR2 in the last 1-2 years have come back with 2+ sticks out of 4 faulty. May just be that a sub-standard batch was produced as they were built around the same time but I'd go with Geil Ram these days. Personal preference there tho.

Also, any particular reason for a GTX460? An ATi 5850 will be a bit cheaper and generally better imo.
August 6, 2010 12:51:13 PM

I would recommend choosing another heatsink, the Achilles isn't that good for 4+ overclock, go for the big dogs (Megahalems, TRUE, Tuniq Tower Extreme, Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltake Frio, Spire Thermax Eclipse II, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus...).
You don't really need 2000 Mhz RAM, 1600Mhz at normal voltage and nice timings is enough.
Must throw in another 460 for SLI. A single 460 is not enough for full HD gaming. The mobo is great, it will give plenty of power in SLI.
Related resources
August 6, 2010 2:11:07 PM

First of all,I for got to put down that I won't be doing sli,and I was wondering would the Achilles CPU Cooler could keep the the cpu,cool at around 3.6GHz overclock? The Corsair Dominator-GT is for the high end memory ram as well,so it's fairly fast I imagined.Thank's again.
August 7, 2010 4:45:44 AM

Since the configuration is quite good from what I heard,that's the system we will be buying in two today.Thank you very much for your help and I appreciated.All the best cheers.
August 8, 2010 11:14:01 AM

The only thing i've changed in the system is the hard drive.I've changed it to the samsung 1tb 32mb 7200rpm spinpoint f3 version instead.Thanks.
August 8, 2010 11:19:25 AM

jimishtar said:
I would recommend choosing another heatsink, the Achilles isn't that good for 4+ overclock, go for the big dogs (Megahalems, TRUE, Tuniq Tower Extreme, Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltake Frio, Spire Thermax Eclipse II, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus...).
You don't really need 2000 Mhz RAM, 1600Mhz at normal voltage and nice timings is enough.
Must throw in another 460 for SLI. A single 460 is not enough for full HD gaming. The mobo is great, it will give plenty of power in SLI.

what about the thermalright venomous x?
August 8, 2010 11:21:40 AM

and i dont think the coolermaster hyper 212+ is considered as a big dog, yes it is probably the best price vs performance cpu cooler if you had a lowish budget as it is only $30
August 8, 2010 11:55:00 AM

I heard some where in the post that some one had bought the xigmatek achilles and used the thermal paste from the artic silver 5 and the person did the job on the computer and the temp never went over 40 degrees on load but have no idea what the speed was though.So i thought thats good then,it should do fine in the system with the super thermal grease and the sound is low around 20 dba or there abouts on full load.
!