UT2004: Any way to replace music easily?

I noticed the music directory has a bunch of .ogg files, but could onejust
drop in some mp3s in there, remove the .oggs and it would play them? Doesn't
seem like it would due to the file names.

--
Kids love the rich taste of web content!
http://british.nerp.net

Spitfire 1500 wrote:
> I noticed the music directory has a bunch of .ogg files, but could
> onejust drop in some mp3s in there, remove the .oggs and it would
> play them? Doesn't seem like it would due to the file names.

I'm noticing on a couple of servers I use that the agut faq isn't available.
http://www.vorbis.com/ You can convert your audio files to ogg. Dropping
in mp3s won't do you any good. Renaming mp3's won't do any good. You must
convert your files to the appropriate format.

Meltdown

Spitfire 1500 enlightened us with:
> I noticed the music directory has a bunch of .ogg files, but could onejust
> drop in some mp3s in there, remove the .oggs and it would play them? Doesn't
> seem like it would due to the file names.

It isn't due to file names, it's due to file *format*. OGG files are
superior to MP3, so don't whine. Oh, and read our FAQ, since your
answer is in there already.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

MeltDown wrote:

> It isn't due to file names, it's due to file *format*. OGG files are
> superior to MP3, so don't whine.

There have been recent questions about the psychoacoustic model introduced a
few versions back with ogg. Superior is arguable. In fact, questionable. -
However, mp3 is proprietary (unenforced, but never the less - proprietary)
The Fraunhauffer fellows actually own intellectual property rights to the
file format called .mp3. The LAME development project occasionally claims
that Fhg rights no longer apply, but those claims are not completely honest.
Reading .ogg's "license agreement" would lead me to beleive that it is
probably not going to a problem for most folks to use ogg as they see fit...
So if superiority exists, it may be in the latter statement.

>Oh, and read our FAQ, since your answer is in there already.

That almost sounds like one of those people who always respond with "RTFM"
or "Use Google, dummy!" Knowing your posts as well as I do, I have to think
you didn't mean it that way....

Meltdown

§ï×darts enlightened us with:
> There have been recent questions about the psychoacoustic model
> introduced a few versions back with ogg. Superior is arguable.

Well, all I can say is that to my ears it is ;)

> That almost sounds like one of those people who always respond with "RTFM"
> or "Use Google, dummy!" Knowing your posts as well as I do, I have to think
> you didn't mean it that way....

No, indeed I didn't. It's just that I've spent quite some time working
on that FAQ (all without being forced to do so, of course, so
everything is relative here) so I'm sometimes a little grumpy when
people don't use it to find a simple answer.

Now that I look it up, the FAQ contains less information on OGG than I
memorized... so here is a good answer for OP:

There are several programs available for your OS (whatever it is) to
convert MP3 files to WAV, and then encode those to OGG Vorbis. Some
programs can even convert directly from MP3 to OGG. It's best though,
to get a WAV from the original source (like an audio CD) and use that
to create the OGG file.

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> Spitfire 1500 enlightened us with:
> > I noticed the music directory has a bunch of .ogg files, but could
onejust
> > drop in some mp3s in there, remove the .oggs and it would play them?
Doesn't
> > seem like it would due to the file names.
>
> It isn't due to file names, it's due to file *format*. OGG files are
> superior to MP3, so don't whine. Oh, and read our FAQ, since your
> answer is in there already.

"our" FAQ? saw one posted recently, and of course it didn't mention anything
about changing music. And yes, I did check google.

I wasn't whining about the merits of MP3 versus OGG Vorbis. My mentioning
of the files was based on an observation. The filenames had like "dria.ogg"
and seemed map-specific.