Windows XP Startup problems

Hi,
Hopefully someone will be able to help me?
This could be related so will start from what I did -
I cleaned out the Temp folder under Documents and Settings/Local
Settings.......

When I went to restart my PC (Running WinXP Home Edition) it came back with
the message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupted.
You can try to fix the problem by reinstalling the orignal WINDOWS XP
Installation disk and pressing 'r' at the second screen.

Tried that didn't work, also tried renaming the file and removing all the
entries, these didn't work either.

Had to reinstall Windows XP in a different partition, but unfortunately that
had nullified most of the apps I have running in the original WINDOWS.
Copied the files from the original WINDOWS to the new WINDOWS(which have
named WINDOWS1), but this still has not solved the problem of being unable to
run any of my apps such as OFFICE, NORTON, etc.

So my questions are:
1. Is there some easy way to restore \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM so as
I can boot from the original WINDOWS

2. If not, is there an easy way to establish connection to the apps on the
original WINDOWS so they will run on the new WINDOWS setup?

Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.
10 answers Last reply
More about windows startup problems

    Use your parallel install to copy 'system' from %windir%\repair to
    %windir%\system32\config after backing up the original.

    What does this mean?
    "tried renaming the file and removing all the entries"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Kaizen" wrote:
    | Hi,
    | Hopefully someone will be able to help me?
    | This could be related so will start from what I did -
    | I cleaned out the Temp folder under Documents and Settings/Local
    | Settings.......
    |
    | When I went to restart my PC (Running WinXP Home Edition) it came back
    with
    | the message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupted.
    | You can try to fix the problem by reinstalling the orignal WINDOWS XP
    | Installation disk and pressing 'r' at the second screen.
    |
    | Tried that didn't work, also tried renaming the file and removing all the
    | entries, these didn't work either.
    |
    | Had to reinstall Windows XP in a different partition, but unfortunately
    that
    | had nullified most of the apps I have running in the original WINDOWS.
    | Copied the files from the original WINDOWS to the new WINDOWS(which have
    | named WINDOWS1), but this still has not solved the problem of being unable
    | run any of my apps such as OFFICE, NORTON, etc.
    |
    | So my questions are:
    | 1. Is there some easy way to restore \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM so
    as
    | I can boot from the original WINDOWS
    |
    | 2. If not, is there an easy way to establish connection to the apps on the
    | original WINDOWS so they will run on the new WINDOWS setup?
    |
    | Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

    Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your response - unfortunately I fall in the category of
    "Knowing just enough to be dangerous", so I presume you mean copy the file
    "system.bak" (Cannot find a file called "system" in Windows\Repiar) from the
    original Windows to the folder "Config" in the new Windows OS (Windows1)

    I tried renaming the file "system" when undertaking the repair thinking it
    could be recreated on start-up - when this didn't work I tried removing all
    the enteries in the file "system".

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Use your parallel install to copy 'system' from %windir%\repair to
    > %windir%\system32\config after backing up the original.
    >
    > What does this mean?
    > "tried renaming the file and removing all the entries"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kaizen" wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > | Hopefully someone will be able to help me?
    > | This could be related so will start from what I did -
    > | I cleaned out the Temp folder under Documents and Settings/Local
    > | Settings.......
    > |
    > | When I went to restart my PC (Running WinXP Home Edition) it came back
    > with
    > | the message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupted.
    > | You can try to fix the problem by reinstalling the orignal WINDOWS XP
    > | Installation disk and pressing 'r' at the second screen.
    > |
    > | Tried that didn't work, also tried renaming the file and removing all the
    > | entries, these didn't work either.
    > |
    > | Had to reinstall Windows XP in a different partition, but unfortunately
    > that
    > | had nullified most of the apps I have running in the original WINDOWS.
    > | Copied the files from the original WINDOWS to the new WINDOWS(which have
    > | named WINDOWS1), but this still has not solved the problem of being unable
    > | run any of my apps such as OFFICE, NORTON, etc.
    > |
    > | So my questions are:
    > | 1. Is there some easy way to restore \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM so
    > as
    > | I can boot from the original WINDOWS
    > |
    > | 2. If not, is there an easy way to establish connection to the apps on the
    > | original WINDOWS so they will run on the new WINDOWS setup?
    > |
    > | Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

    The files in the repair folder should not have BAK extension. Someone or
    some process changed it. You can try renaming it as system and placing it in
    the config folder.

    How did you accomplish this?

    "Kaizen" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Thank you for your response - unfortunately I fall in the category of
    | "Knowing just enough to be dangerous", so I presume you mean copy the file
    | "system.bak" (Cannot find a file called "system" in Windows\Repiar) from
    the
    | original Windows to the folder "Config" in the new Windows OS (Windows1)
    |
    | I tried renaming the file "system" when undertaking the repair thinking it
    | could be recreated on start-up - when this didn't work I tried removing
    all
    | the enteries in the file "system".

    Hi Patrick,
    I opened the file "system" using wordpad and deleted all the data within.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > The files in the repair folder should not have BAK extension. Someone or
    > some process changed it. You can try renaming it as system and placing it in
    > the config folder.
    >
    > How did you accomplish this?
    > "when this didn't work I tried removing all the enteries in the file
    > "system""
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kaizen" wrote:
    > | Hi Dave,
    > | Thank you for your response - unfortunately I fall in the category of
    > | "Knowing just enough to be dangerous", so I presume you mean copy the file
    > | "system.bak" (Cannot find a file called "system" in Windows\Repiar) from
    > the
    > | original Windows to the folder "Config" in the new Windows OS (Windows1)
    > |
    > | I tried renaming the file "system" when undertaking the repair thinking it
    > | could be recreated on start-up - when this didn't work I tried removing
    > all
    > | the enteries in the file "system".

    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for help so far it's very much appreciated.

    Renamed the file "system.bak" and copied into the config folder as suggested
    - progress. It passed the original point of failure and displayed the Windows
    XP logo but then came back with the following message:

    Isass.exe - System Error
    When trying to to update a password, this return status indicates the value
    provided as the current password is not correct.

    Then it rebooted.

    Cheers
    Errol Corrie

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > The files in the repair folder should not have BAK extension. Someone or
    > some process changed it. You can try renaming it as system and placing it in
    > the config folder.
    >
    > How did you accomplish this?
    > "when this didn't work I tried removing all the enteries in the file
    > "system""
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kaizen" wrote:
    > | Hi Dave,
    > | Thank you for your response - unfortunately I fall in the category of
    > | "Knowing just enough to be dangerous", so I presume you mean copy the file
    > | "system.bak" (Cannot find a file called "system" in Windows\Repiar) from
    > the
    > | original Windows to the folder "Config" in the new Windows OS (Windows1)
    > |
    > | I tried renaming the file "system" when undertaking the repair thinking it
    > | could be recreated on start-up - when this didn't work I tried removing
    > all
    > | the enteries in the file "system".

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    See if this article helps.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

    --

    "Kaizen" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Thanks for help so far it's very much appreciated.
    |
    | Renamed the file "system.bak" and copied into the config folder as
    suggested
    | - progress. It passed the original point of failure and displayed the
    Windows
    | XP logo but then came back with the following message:
    |
    | Isass.exe - System Error
    | When trying to to update a password, this return status indicates the
    value
    | provided as the current password is not correct.
    |
    | Then it rebooted.
    |
    | Cheers
    | Errol Corrie
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi Dave,
    Ufortunately the original Windows is an OEM version - the second
    installation is from from disc which I had to purchase to try and get back
    into the PC and undertake a recovery.
    As per the article - Do not use if you have an OEM version.

    Cheers
    Errol

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > See if this article helps.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kaizen" wrote:
    > | Hi Dave,
    > | Thanks for help so far it's very much appreciated.
    > |
    > | Renamed the file "system.bak" and copied into the config folder as
    > suggested
    > | - progress. It passed the original point of failure and displayed the
    > Windows
    > | XP logo but then came back with the following message:
    > |
    > | Isass.exe - System Error
    > | When trying to to update a password, this return status indicates the
    > value
    > | provided as the current password is not correct.
    > |
    > | Then it rebooted.
    > |
    > | Cheers
    > | Errol Corrie

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Use the CD-Rom that you purchased for the repair.

    --

    "Kaizen" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Ufortunately the original Windows is an OEM version - the second
    | installation is from from disc which I had to purchase to try and get back
    | into the PC and undertake a recovery.
    | As per the article - Do not use if you have an OEM version.
    |
    | Cheers
    | Errol
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Kaizen" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Ufortunately the original Windows is an OEM version - the second
    | installation is from from disc which I had to purchase to try and get back
    | into the PC and undertake a recovery.
    | As per the article - Do not use if you have an OEM version.
    |
    | Cheers
    | Errol
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Not sure if Dave realizes your "broken" version of XP is an OEM and that you
    have 2 versions of XP on your machine. I seriously doubt that you can
    extricate yourself fom this situation without reinstalling your
    applications. Suspect that any solution that does not involve getting rid of
    the OEM installation would be, at best, difficult and very technical, and at
    worst, doomed to failure.

    Kaizen wrote:
    > Hi Dave,
    > Ufortunately the original Windows is an OEM version - the second
    > installation is from from disc which I had to purchase to try and get
    > back into the PC and undertake a recovery.
    > As per the article - Do not use if you have an OEM version.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Errol
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    >> See if this article helps.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >> "Kaizen" wrote:
    >>> Hi Dave,
    >>> Thanks for help so far it's very much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Renamed the file "system.bak" and copied into the config folder as
    >>> suggested - progress. It passed the original point of failure and
    >>> displayed the Windows XP logo but then came back with the following
    >>> message:
    >>>
    >>> Isass.exe - System Error
    >>> When trying to to update a password, this return status indicates
    >>> the value provided as the current password is not correct.
    >>>
    >>> Then it rebooted.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Errol Corrie

Configuration Windows XP