Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading Question for Older Dell

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2010 4:21:49 AM

Hi, I'm sorry if this is placed in the wrong area (first timer) so please direct me to the right place if it isn't.

I was wondering if I would be able to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4700 (P4 3.4 ghz) to this CPU here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-...

While I have upgraded things before, I've never done a CPU so I want to make sure it would be compatible with my motherboard. From my understanding it is, because I think I have a LGA 775 socket.

Also, would I be able to install this myself? or would I need the help of a computer techie (is there any special soldering that needs to be done, etc.) How do the power requirements differ? Is it worth upgrading or should I just purchase a new computer? Any advice would be appreciated
October 13, 2010 5:07:19 AM

yes you can upgrade it to core 2 duo you mentioned but do you really have lga 775 socket. And make sure your powersupply can handle it
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 11:29:46 AM

ATi RaDEoN said:
yes you can upgrade it to core 2 duo you mentioned but do you really have lga 775 socket. And make sure your powersupply can handle it

No, he can't, just having the correct socket doesn't gaurantee cpu compatibility.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 12:56:04 PM

kRnpanda said:

@delluser, how do I confirm that the cpu is compatible?

Intel 915G chipset, you're stuck with P4.
October 13, 2010 1:06:30 PM

sadface. thanks for the response =)
m
l
October 24, 2010 12:30:19 PM

Best answer selected by kRnpanda.
m
l
!