luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
HI

i recently upgraded my cpu from a 7750 BE @3.1 (dual core, phenom I based) to a P2 955... and now my computer is noticeably slower..

it boots slower, my fps is lower and it's less responsive. I did some benchmarks (sandra) and found it to be about half as fast as my 7750

the motherboard is a Jetway HA07 ultra (790GX, AM2+), i did not perform a bios update because http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585392 states that my motherboard is compatible and needs bios version A06 (which is what i have)

should i do a bios update anyways? i dont really know how so if someone thinks i should i would need instructions (or reference to them). i dont have a FDD.

the cpu is recognized BUT when i first booted it up it set it to 800MHz and .95v so i changed that to 3200 and 1.325

i have also noticed really really good temps... like it hasnt gone over 40C even when i overclocked it to 3.8 and ran prime 95 but then again, my cpu cooler is a hyper 212+ with AC5 (good, but not THAT good). my case has good airflow too (nzxt hades) but still... 38 C @3.8 on full load? something has to be wrong.
usually sits at 29 or 30 idle

cpu-z reports everything as it should. task manager shows all cores 100% when doing prime 95. but when i did the sandra benchmarks it showed one core fluctuating (20-80%) and the rest 100% -dont know if thats normal

i have went through bios settings like crazy.. cool and quiet is off

everything reports my cpu as a 3.2 quad, 955, 6 meg L3..... everything correct

other system notes:

Radeon 4850 1 gig
2X2 gigs of kingston hyperx 1066 (running at 1066, 5-5-5-15)
320 gig WD, 16 meg
550 wall OCZ (fatal1ty version)
XP pro x64 (also have windows 7 x64 dual booted)

the only change was the cpu, although i guess i got a external hard drive.... but i cant see how that would effect anything

thank you for any and all help you can provide :) im really really confused about this one. im not a noob (soo i dont THINK its something obvious) but im sure i have things to learn

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
GFLOPS and clockspeed are directly proportional sooo if im getting 9 when i should be getting 37 that means i could be at about a quarter the clockspeed (800MHz)

9/37~800/3200

i dont know why it would report 3200 if it was at 800 though

I can say that with a hyper 212+ those chips to in fact run very cool. In the low 40s at load with stock speeds and slightly reduced voltage. Low 50s at 3.6. All this with a Antec 300 and the only fans on low.

As for speed, for sure try a bios update. I have it on a 770T-USB3 if it makes a difference.

If you are running awdflash.exe then yes. It is a 16 bit dos application.

I would recommend you download a boot cd image with cd support then boot off the cd, swap to a cd with the flasher and run the flash.bad

My personal way to flash a bios is with the built in flasher on many boards. There is no listing for that with your board.

I would boot with a windows 98 CD that can then drop to DOS. After that i would swap the CD to one with the files in the bios update. Then just type flash and let it too the rest.

If you need a windows 98 boot cd try here, I have not used those, but they look like the real deal.

http://www.bootdisks.us/windows-98/13/windows-98-bootable-cd-images.html

Remember when flashing the bios NEVER power off the system until it tells you or does it on its own.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
i tried what you said, when i get to the flashing program "screen" it will ask me to type in the path for the bios; even if i already specified it when launching it.

It wont let me type in the path, or hit enter. its like stuck.

how do i upgrade from windows?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Ok put it on drive C: the root directory so when you use your Windows explorer and click on drive C: you will see the BIOS update something like xxxxx.rom or whatever.

When you use a boot disk drive C: usually no longer drive C: so you can type D: then enter then type DIR - you should see the BIOS update file xxxxx.rom if not try other drives then point the BIOS update software to that drive:

Sample:
C:\>awflash C:\xxxxx.rom

One thing you can also invoke help by typing awflash /? or awflash /help.