Sign in with
Your question

Moving RAID5 to a new machine, how not to do it.

Last response: in Storage
October 29, 2012 11:33:25 AM

Hello,

I just upgraded my motherboard, processor, memory this past weekend. I was SO excited that I instantly swapped out the old mobo, cpu, mem without thinking about any of the other components in my case.

I had a RAID 5 with 3x 1.5TB WD Blacks setup though my old mobo's controller (Nvidia nForce 680i SLi using Media Shield) nothing else moved in my case besides the motherboard, ie: drives never left the bays.

When I plugged in the drives into the new motherboard they were detected but being the noob that I am, thought they would magically continue their RAID onto the new mobo's controller (Asus Sabertooth x79 which uses Intel's Storage controller software). Instead they showed up as separate disks, two of which showed up in Disk Management as 'not formated'.

I instantly put all of the original mobo, cpu, mem back into the case and plugged in the three RAID drives and the drive that had the OS still on it. Booted that back up and of course Media Shield is telling me that my RAID is faulty and that two drives are now 'free drives' and it only gives me the option to rebuild one of my drives.

All the data should still be on each of the drives right? I haven't saved or deleted anything since the move.

I've tried every combination of SATA placement on the mobo in the hopes it will recognize the arrangement. No luck so far.

I already know that I did this all wrong, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this situation. Be easy on my please.

Thanks in advance.

More about : moving raid5 machine

October 29, 2012 1:23:26 PM

The bios settings may have been lost. I'd try reconfiguring that first, then you need to get into the RAID utility on bootup. It sounds like you are trying to reconfigure this from inside windows thru the nvidia software. Otherwise give nvidia a call on this because there has to be a way to get it back. Good luck.
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:40:54 PM

Thanks for the reply

Sorry, I didn't specify that. I am catching the raid controller on bootup, and that is where i'm getting those stats.

(*This is off the top of my head since i'm at work right now)
Once in the RAID Controller dialog.
It showed my RAID setup: RAID5 - Faulty - 2.84TB. I then selected that raid setup. Then it showed what disks are in that raid, only one 1.42TB - WD1500xxxx. It gave me the option to rebuild, so I pressed that. A dialog popped asking me what disk I want to use to rebuild with, then it showed the other two 1.42TB - WD1500xxx. It called them 'Free Disks'. I can't select both, but if I select one it said "by using this disk, you will loose all your data on this disk", in which I ESC out.
m
l
!