Final check over on my gaming rig

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2010 1:04:56 PM

this is my build

Intel® Core™ i5 760 - 2.80GHz Quad Core, Socket 1156, 8MB L3, Intel DMI Interface, 45nm, x64 Support, Intel VT, 3 Year Warranty
GIGABYTE® P55A-UD4P: P55 Express Chipset - Socket LGA1156, 2.5GT/s DMI Bus - Supports: Pentium Dual Core, Core i3, i5 & i7 LGA1156
GIGABYTE® nVidia® GeForce GTX460 - 1GB GDDR5, 256-Bit Memory Bus, PCI Express 2.0, 2x DVI, 1x Mini HDMI, HDCP Compliant
Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance 2GB DDR3-1333 240-Pin Module : CL9, 6-Layer PC Board, Life-Time Warranty
Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance 2GB DDR3-1333 240-Pin Module : CL9, 6-Layer PC Board, Life-Time Warranty
GIGABYTE® ODIN 585W 24-Pin Power Supply, 4 Molex & 5 SATA Power Connectors, Intel LGA775 Ready & Approved, Includes Power Cable
Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200.12 Series - 500GB Serial ATA II (SATA2) Plus - Serial ATA 300 (3Gbps) With 16MB Cache @ 7200RPM - NCQ

Antec 600 case

Thermalright Venomous X RT Aluminium Fins with 6 6mm Copper Heatpipes to Copper Base, cpu cooler

im going to be buying within the next two weeks.... any comments on my build and is it worth it buying some arctic silver 5 thermal paste? my cpu cooler comes with thermalright chill factor III thermal paste... will all my components work together?

More about : final check gaming rig

August 6, 2010 1:52:05 PM

I just went and googled around for your power supply, and I can't find anything on it. It's not on the 80+ certified list, so I would definitely recommend getting a better power supply from a better manufacturer.

In addition, if you ever plan on SLI'ing your 460, you're going to need at least 650w psu.

Go look for a psu from xfx, seasonic, corsair, antec, or some ocz psus. You definitely do not want to skimp out on the psu.

Here are two examples you can go with; first is a xfx 650w, the second is a ocz 500w. Only the first one will let you sli.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:01:39 PM

what about a GIGABYTE® ODIN GT 550W Modular Power Supply - Cable Management, Monitoring Software, 14cm Silent LED Fan, SLI, Crossfire, Power Cable or a GIGABYTE® ODIN 720W 24-Pin Power Supply, 4 Molex & 6 SATA Power Connectors, Intel LGA775 Ready & Approved, Includes Power Cable

the 720 watt is cheaper, would i be able to put 2 gtx 460s in sli with the 720 watt?
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 2:01:52 PM

I would switch the board for an Asus P7P55D-E Pro. The problem with Gigabyte's LGA1156 boards is that if you add a second GPU in Crossfire, it disables USB 3/SATA III support. Might as well get all the features you pay for.

If you didn't want the ability to Crossfire, drop down to the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 to save some money.

That PSU is a POS. Stick to Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, SeaSonic or Antec to get a high quality unit. Pretty much every other brand wouldn't be considered high quality, and would run the risk of either not supplying enough power for the build or taking other parts (the board, CPU and GPU are most likely) with it when it fails, which will be sooner rather than later. 650W would be needed for two GTX 460s as long as it's a quality unit.

I'd also take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB for the HDD. They're about equal in speed and price, but the Samsung is slightly faster and thought to have a little higher quality.

Thermal paste doesn't really make that big of a difference. Whatever you've got will be fine.

I should also point out that you might want to consider an AMD build. Intel is a little faster, but CPU power doesn't really matter for gaming. An AMD build would be about $100 (X4 955) to $200 (X3 440) cheaper, which would allow you to step up to an HD 5850 or HD 5870 for the GPU. Since the CPU doesn't make a huge difference in gaming, it's a good idea to minimize the cost and get the biggest GPU you can afford.

All you would need to switch is the CPU (the recommendations above) and the board (the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 is excellent). Also, Intel's already announced that the LGA1156 and LGA1366 sockets are being replaced by the end of the year. The AM3 socket will see at least one new series of CPUs, which gives it a massive advantage for future proofing.
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:15:25 PM

i could also get the ocz 500 watt modular psu
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:20:46 PM

Again, not a very high quality unit. It definitely won't handle two GTX 460s either (assuming that's what you're planning).
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:53:03 PM

i guess i could get the asus but as i live in south africa computer components cost a lot more, my whole rig costs R14000 which is about $2000, and the company im buying from is really cheap and they do not stock amd cpus and if i get it from another company, the amd phenom II x4 955 black edition works out more than the i5 760, and i heard that 2 5850s in crossfire perform identical or even worse than 2 gtx 460s in sli, so a gigabyte odin 720 watt will not be able 2 sli 2 gtx 460s?
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:14:25 PM

It was just a suggestion. You don't have to switch to AMD. If it's more expensive, or doesn't save enough to get a bigger GPU, then it's not worth it.

The dual card performance is only because of the current drivers. In the long run, the drivers will equalize and the 5850 should perform better in Crossfire.

I wouldn't trust ANY Gigabyte PSU to run any build, much less one that's has as high power demand as a dual card build.
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:36:31 PM

@mrhos: The OP just said he was in South Africa. That means no Newegg.
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:02:19 PM

then what do you guys think i could save money on to get a 5850? perhaps a motherboard that supports crossfire but doesnt have usb3 and so on?
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:16:41 PM

should i rather get the ASUS P7P55D LE and get a 5850
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:20:01 PM

but then il still have to save a bit of money about R400 which is about $60
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:30:25 PM

Your build with the 460 is fine if you can't switch anything out to get the 5850. You already have a board that doesn't do both Crossfire/SLI and USB 3/SATA III. Really, the only thing that absolutely has be changed in your build is that PSU.
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:33:17 PM

wait.... i thought the Asus P7P55D-E Pro could support sli
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:42:14 PM

I thought you weren't switching from the Gigabyte board, so I was referencing that board. The Asus will support both USB 3/SATA III.
m
l
August 6, 2010 4:56:04 PM

na il switch, theres another board i could also its the Biostar TPower I55 5X, ive never heard of biostar but its the same prices as the asus and it has awesome features

12 Phase Power Phase Design

8+4 phase VRM design with high quality power components such as low IR Direct FET MOSFETs for lower temperatures, Ferrite core chokes with lower hysteresis loss, and high quality Japanese-made solid capacitors all add up to ensure longer system life and lower power loss.

2 Phase Memory Power Design

2-phase independent power design to increase memory voltage stability and durability.

Dura-MAX

BIOSTAR Dura-MAX™ designed for the highest quality and most innovative motherboard design. Featuring the industry's first design to innovate IR DirectFET™ MOSFET which deliver dramatically lower system temperature, improved energy efficiency and enhanced stability for overclocking needs. Also , combined with Japanese Solid Capacitors, Ferrite core chokes with higher power swiching efficiency. Tpower i55 motherboards with Dura-MAX™ pledged to provide the stability, reliability and Durability to meet the Motherboard power needs of new Intel processors and other components running today's most demanding applications and games.

Space-Pipe

SPACE–Pipe is a new silent north bridge cooling device. It uses a heat-pipe to conduct heat from the chipset heatsink to a PWM fin-heatsink collection module. Airflow from the CPU fan then removes the heat collected from the CPU, the chipset, and PWM fin-heatsink, effectively cooling your system with no additional noise.

BIOSTAR "GPU" Technology

BIOSTAR G.P.U (Green Power Utility) is a new function, it will enhance energy efficiency by disabling extra phases while CPU on light loading. It integrated a friendly GUI to monitor what's your CPU resourcing, response and optimized the power saving on your system. Such as Heavy 3D Gaming, Internet or MSN charting, G.P.U will always arrange the best power efficiency in your system.

G.P.U. Power Indicator LED

LED display indicates real-time power saving.

Chipset-CPU Features

ntel P55 chipset

The Intel® P55 Express Chipset is new intel single chipset architecture supported the latest Intel LGA1156 ® Core™ i7 & Core i5 Processors using DMI Interconnect,with amazing impress by point-to-point links, provide more stability and bandwidth enhancement , it also enable the nVidia® SLI technology and ATI CrossFireX™ technology on the same motherboard.

Intel Lynnfield LGA 1156 Core™i7/Core™5 Processor support

Lynnfield is the first Intel 45nm CPU processors family using Intel Nehalem micro architecture in LGA1156 package. Supported Intel® DMI Interconnec and integrated with memory controller support Dual-channel with 4 DIMM slots DDR3 memory. It supported intel Turbo boost technology and smart cache.

Dual Channel DDR3

It supports 4 DIMM Slots DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C) /1600/1333 , .As the LGA 1156 Intel® Core™ i7 and Intel® Core™ i5 Processors supported 2 memory channels, and the channel speed can be selected by setting the memory multiplier, It will obviously uplift the bandwidth and boost the overall system performance.

NVIDIA SLI Technology

The advanced NVIDIA® SLI® technology on intel platform. It deliver the best gaming performance. Experienced the fastest performance imaginable on new killer gaming machines. Surround yourself with amazing 3D performance, breathtaking physical effects, and accelerate your most performance hungry applications.

ATI CrossFire X™ Technology

ATI CrossFireX™ is the ultimate multi-GPU performance gaming platform. Enabling game-dominating power, ATI CrossFireX technology enables two or more discrete graphics processors to work together to improve system performance. It supporting up to four ATI Radeon™ HD graphics cards, making this the most scalable gaming platform ever!

eSATA

TWO external SATA 3Gb/s ports connectivity with minimal host overhead and host to device latency.

IEEE1394 on board

IEEE 1394a is a serial bus interface for high-speed communication and data transfer. Major applications are in Desktop and digital Video/Audio and some portable device.

S/P DIF Output on board

On board Optical & Coaxial connector supported your desktop to transfer the non-distortion digital audio output to AV amplifier and professional speaker system.

BIOS-Software Features

BIO-V(BIOSTAR Voltage Point)

To read directly voltages from the RAM, Chipset, PCI-E, CPU, QPI and CPU Pll's.

O.M.G (OverClocking Matrix Genie)

O.M.G (Overclocking Matrix Genie ) is designed to automatically adjust the key items to maximize system performance. Just press F10 when boot , it allows you to make simple Overclocking steps as a OC expert It will let you adjust the CPU Clock , CPU Voltage ..etc key items for Overclocking needs.

BIO-Flasher

Effortlessly update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering your OS. BIO-FLASHER is a convenient BIOS update tool. Just launch this tool and put the BIOS on USB Pen Driver before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or other complicated flash utility.

BIO-ReLife

BIO-ReLife Technology let you to resume crushed BIOS data from a USB flash Pen Driver that put the new BIOS file. This considerate BIOS utility can restore your system and far from the BIOS Crush situation.

T-Overclocker

Toverclocker presents a simple Windows based system performance enhancement and manageability utility. Featuring several powerful yet easy to use tools such as Overclocking for enhancing system performance. Also for special enhancement on CPU and Memory. Smart-Fan control for managing fan speed control of both CPU cooling fan and North-Bridge Chipset cooling fan. PC health for monitoring system status. And pre-set OC modes for easy OC.

BIOScreen Utility

Personalize your desktop with customizable boot logo. BIOScreen is the new feature in TPOWER X58 motherboard that let your realize personalization and create your owned style to shown the customizable and lively boot logo.
m
l
August 6, 2010 5:16:56 PM

whats the cheapest mobo that supports crossfire?
m
l

Best solution

August 6, 2010 5:43:37 PM

You don't really want the cheapest board out there. Generally, I try to get either Gigabyte or Asus to ensure quality. The next tier of quality would be boards from ASRock, EVGA and MSI. Anything else isn't worth the money.

The cheapest one (in the US) that I could possibly recommend with Crossfire/SLI support is the MSI P55A-G55.
August 6, 2010 6:29:07 PM

Best answer selected by gordon_81.
m
l
!