Graphics card blue screen

Hey, I bought and installed a Nvidia Geforce GTS 250. Once installed, I turned on the computer and everything seemed to be fine until I played a game and the computer shut down. There wasn't a blue screen or anything, but I realized my computer's power supply wasn't good enough. I stopped playing games that had high graphics, but then my computer began to bluescreen almost every time I played any game. For instance, it would blue screen on the starting screen of Dominions 3, as well as when I was playing Haven and Hearth (A java based game with sub-standard graphics). Thinking that this was all related to my power supply, I eventually bought a new one. I can now play high graphics games without my computer blacking out and shutting down, but it still bluescreens very often whenever I play any game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about graphics card blue screen
  1. which PSU do you have?and what are the other specs?
  2. tell us your OS which card u were using before windows 7 is kind of bugy
  3. My new PSU is a 650 watt Antec ATX12V v2.2., and here are the other specs of my computer:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
    Installed Memory: 2.00 GB
    System type: 32 bit operating system
    And I'm running on Windows 7

EDIT: I'm not too sure which graphics card I was using before this, I think it was something like a Nvidia 6900, or something similar to that. It was a very outdated card that came with the computer.
  4. your PSU is good (thinking that its a new one)
    did you remove your old drivers before installing the new card?
    if not, remove old drivers using driver sweeper and then install the new card
  5. Alright, I ran driver sweeper, and reinstalled the GTS 250 device, but I'm now getting this message:
    "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

EDIT: Nevermind, I restarted my computer and the drivers reinstalled correctly. This still hasn't solved the blue screen, though, I started up a game to test it out and after 15 minutes or so it blue screened.

Thanks for all of the help so far :)
  6. The way I see it if your previous PSU was not supplying the card with enough grunt, and you still have problems I would suspect that you have damaged the card by running it under power. Under power kills hardware like over power can. I would say the memory in it is damaged. If not some other part of the card is damaged. My pick is hardware.
  7. Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Games Blue Screen Computer Graphics