setting default email program

Hi!

I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE after I
installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled Outlook.

Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default email
handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in IE,
Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for the
Email field.

This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.

Please help. Thanks.
Lang

Hi Lang,
Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:

"%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"

This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE after
> installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled
> Outlook.
>
> Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
> sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default email
> handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in IE,
> Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for
> the
> Email field.
>
> This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
> people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.
>
> Please help. Thanks.
> Lang

Thanks Ramesh, the solution works.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Lang,
> Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:
>
> "%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
>
> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>
> This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE after
> > installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled
> > Outlook.
> >
> > Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
> > sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default email
> > handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in IE,
> > Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for
> > the
> > Email field.
> >
> > This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
> > people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.
> >
> > Please help. Thanks.
> > Lang

Hey,

One more regarding this. My Nikon View 6 program seems to be unable to
communicate with my default email program.

I was trying to send a picture (jpg) using Nikon View. On another PC, I was
able to select a picture and click on the email button that is in Nikon View,
which will bring up Outlook Express with the pictures being attached.

I have tried uninstall and reinstalling Nikon View after executing the
commands that you gave me. That didnt work. What can I do about this?

Best,
Lang.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Lang,
> Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:
>
> "%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
>
> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>
> This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE after
> > installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled
> > Outlook.
> >
> > Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
> > sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default email
> > handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in IE,
> > Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for
> > the
> > Email field.
> >
> > This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
> > people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.
> >
> > Please help. Thanks.
> > Lang

You're welcome!

--

> Thanks Ramesh, the solution works.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lang,
>> Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:
>>
>> "%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
>>
>> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>>
>> This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE
>> > after
>> > installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled
>> > Outlook.
>> >
>> > Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
>> > sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default
>> > email
>> > handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in
>> > IE,
>> > Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for
>> > the
>> > Email field.
>> >
>> > This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
>> > people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.
>> >
>> > Please help. Thanks.
>> > Lang

I've never used NikonView, but have a CD with me, and may test it for you.

--

> Hey,
>
> One more regarding this. My Nikon View 6 program seems to be unable to
> communicate with my default email program.
>
> I was trying to send a picture (jpg) using Nikon View. On another PC, I
> was
> able to select a picture and click on the email button that is in Nikon
> View,
> which will bring up Outlook Express with the pictures being attached.
>
> I have tried uninstall and reinstalling Nikon View after executing the
> commands that you gave me. That didnt work. What can I do about this?
>
> Best,
> Lang.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lang,
>> Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:
>>
>> "%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
>>
>> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
>>
>> This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I have a problem with setting OE6 as my default email program in IE
>> > after
>> > installed Office 97. Since I really wanted to use OE6, I uninstalled
>> > Outlook.
>> >
>> > Now my OE6 works okay with my dial-up internet access. No problems with
>> > sending and receiving emails, but I cannot set it to be the default
>> > email
>> > handler using the Tool->Options popup window. And I also found that in
>> > IE,
>> > Tools-> Internet Options popup -> Programs tab, there is no choices for
>> > the
>> > Email field.
>> >
>> > This problem has caused me to be unable to click on email addresses of
>> > people on the webpages and other problems with 3rd party softwares.
>> >
>> > Please help. Thanks.
>> > Lang

Appreciate any help you can give on this issue. Please.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> I've never used NikonView, but have a CD with me, and may test it for you.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey,
> >
> > One more regarding this. My Nikon View 6 program seems to be unable to
> > communicate with my default email program.
> >
> > I was trying to send a picture (jpg) using Nikon View. On another PC, I
> > was
> > able to select a picture and click on the email button that is in Nikon
> > View,
> > which will bring up Outlook Express with the pictures being attached.
> >
> > I have tried uninstall and reinstalling Nikon View after executing the
> > commands that you gave me. That didnt work. What can I do about this?
> >
> > Best,
> > Lang.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Lang,
> >> Click Start, Run and type the following commands one by one:
> >>
> >> "%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
> >>
> >> regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll"
> >>
> >> This restores Outlook Express under the email clients list.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "lang" <lang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

mathewsj

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hey Ramesh,
Do you also know how to setup Outlook as the default mail client? Right now I'm on XP, and it only show Outlook Express as my default mail client. This gets frustrating because I'm using Firefox and it won't open emails because Outlook doesn't show up as an email client option.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
John