Need advice on $1500-$2000 new build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 2:32:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into finally upgrading my 5 year old Dell Dimension 8400 with a gaming rig to get me through, SC2, Diablo 3, and WoW (for now). I do want to future-proof the machine for at least 2-3 years before needing an upgrade.

My budget is around the $1500 range, plus or minus $200 depending on what the stretch is for.

I am in no immediate rush, so waiting a month or two here or there is fine.
I plan on getting a new monitor, but I do have a 20in Dell LCD which I can work with for some time. With a new monitor, I would be expecting to push the resolution to the 1920x1200 range,

I am not opposed to getting a system from iBuyPower or CyberPower, though I would also be willing to try building my own system (using parts from newegg or otherwise).

I do not plan to overclock though SLI or crossfire in the future would be cool.

Here is a base build that I used CyberPower to put together, though I would be willing to mix/match based on input from experts:

----------------------------
CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CAS:* In-Win Ironclad Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 220MM Side Panel Fan (Black Color)

CS_FAN: Default case fans

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-975X Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

HDD:30 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

HDD2:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

KEYBOARD:Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard (default)

MOUSE:XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse (default)

MONITOR:None (looking for any good suggestions here)

MULTIVIEW:Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

MEMORY:6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair Dominator)

MOTHERBOARD:* (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:* 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+94]

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:None

TEMP:None

USB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO:* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [-90] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+10])

VIDEO2:None

_PRICE: (+1706)

Let me know what you think - Thanks!

More about : advice 1500 2000 build

August 6, 2010 3:15:37 PM

Two quick comments.

1. No real need for the i7-975 for gaming, i5's are cheaper and perform just as well (or slightly under) for significantly less in price. (are you partial to i7's for any particular reason?)

2. That is a pretty small SSD for a boot drive. I was under the impression that at least a 60gb was recommended for OS and load drive for some apps - but I could be wrong and 30gb may be sufficient.

Questions:

1. Do you have an OS already? (what one?)
2. Your note about the monitor, you are looking for recommendations, so do you want that to be part of your 1500 +/- 200 budget?
m
l
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 4:05:45 PM

Thanks for your comments jared51182.

1) I would like to get an i7 just because they are mid to high tier and what I would see as a good option for some future-proofing (I'm no expert). I also would like to have a quad core processor. The idea of using the i7 975 extreme just came up because there was a special upgrade to it for no extra cost just for today as opposed to using the i7 960. I would not want to pay the normal price for an i7 EE (I've seen prices near $1000). The normal costs of i7 processors are not an issue for me.

2) I would be fine not getting an SSD boot drive at all, or moving up to a 64GB drive with a 1TB data drive. A friend suggested getting 2 1TB data drives in a RAID 0, which I would be fine with assuming it can get the job done. I've survived on a 160GB hard drive for 5 years, so the space increase will be more than I will know what to do with initially.

3) I have access to Windows 7 64bit as an OS to be used.

4) I am planning the monitor as a separate purchase, so that would not be part of the $1500 - $2000 cost.

Thanks!
m
l
!