3TB HDD shows negative free space

visualazza

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi,

I am trying to install my copy of 007 Nightfire on my Windows 7 PC, which has a 3TB HDD.

When I try to install it, it gives me the following message:

This software requires an additional 1827458956 K bytes free on the C: drive to install. Please remove any unnecessary files and try again.

I have over 2TB of free space left. Any ideas on how to get around this problem, as so far a Google search has come up with very little, other than signed ints only go up to 2TB.

Thanks,
VisualAzza

BrianGraham91

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, Windows only recognizes up to 2.5GB on a single drive? Assuming you've used 1TB, does your game take up 1TB? lol...

visualazza

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I managed to install windows on the HDD using a GPT, and I can still use all 3TB.

What would happen if I partitioned it, so that partition 1 had 1.5tb and partition 2 had 1.5tb? Would that solve my problem? Oh and would the partitioning format my HDD?

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
You can try shrinking the partition down. Windows 7 gives you the option to shrink partitions down under Disk Management. As long as you have the disk space you can shrink it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

No offense, but don't try to give advice when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You'll do more harm than good.

To clear some things up, the FAT16 filesystem had a limitation of 2GB per volume. FAT16 was officially replaced almost twenty years ago, by FAT32. FAT32 was in turn replaced by NTFS. For reference, FAT32 can handle drives of up to 16TB, depending on sector size. NTFS can handle 256TB.

Also, no game on the planet comes close to using 1TB of space. Such a game would require more than 200 DVDs to install, or 30+ Blu-rays, or five days of constant downloading maxing out a 20 megabit connection. It would also be much too large to install on the average hard drive, which is still less than 1TB for most people.

For reference, and so you don't say something so ridiculous in the future, most games are much less than 0.01TB, and the largest are less than 0.05TB.