Sign in with
Your question

Operating temps for AMD Phenom II x4 955...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2010 2:17:27 PM

I just got my new rig put together, so I was watching things like core temp and mobo temp closely.

What is the standard operating temperature for this CPU? It tends to hover around 40 to 45 celsius idling. I subjected it to Prime95 and killed the process when my temp hit 71C. Note that I had my fan throttled down somewhat, because at full blast the CPU fan is louder than a jet fighter. There was no system instability or even a hint of problems superficially at 71C, but this doesn't necessarily mean anything.

My case is a Rosewill Blackbone, has a vented side panel and two 120mm case fans, so I'd thought that would be enough.

I'm just not sure what is considered too hot for this CPU, as it varies so much by model. I have memories of my Athlon XP 1700+ running hotter than hell and it was considered normal for that CPU, I just don't know and can't find what is considered normal for this CPU.

Are there any voltage settings I might want to think about changing?

Edit: I also may have made a mistake. When I first placed the cooler on the CPU, I thought I did it backwards and had to pull it. Some of the thermal grease had already been smeared onto the CPU after that.....should I have re-applied new thermal paste?
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2010 4:40:40 PM

what kind of thermal paste?
if its the little square that comes from the factory some of those are wax..

if you used arctic silver 5 etc.. you are susposed to use a VERY small amount spread out
it shouldnt really smear much.

That all said.. the temps seem reasonable.

I have a q6600 oc to 3.2ghz and it runs about 70's under prime95

also which cooler do you have is it the retail box cooler or 3rd party?

cpu shouldn't be damaged by anything under 100.. not that I'd like to see 90's on my rig or anything
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:01:36 PM

rand_79 said:
what kind of thermal paste?
if its the little square that comes from the factory some of those are wax..

if you used arctic silver 5 etc.. you are susposed to use a VERY small amount spread out
it shouldnt really smear much.

That all said.. the temps seem reasonable.

I have a q6600 oc to 3.2ghz and it runs about 70's under prime95

also which cooler do you have is it the retail box cooler or 3rd party?

cpu shouldn't be damaged by anything under 100.. not that I'd like to see 90's on my rig or anything

Used factory thermal goo. Also running the stock AMD cooler that came with the CPU.

Should I try rolling my voltage down some? This ASRock board I'm running is an overclocker's dream, and it's got some preconfigured vcore settings. I don't remember where it's set at right this second, but my understanding is that I ought to be able to drop the voltage to around 1.35v and reduce heat.

With fan not running hard, the temp ran up to 71C and I felt it was going to continue to rise, which is why I killed Prime95. I don't actually know how high it would've gone (although it seemed to be leveling off by then).

Maybe I just need to add more fans. Case came with two 120mm chassis fans but has provisions for additional fans.
m
l
!